Reverse Anorexia?

Donna Simpson aims at eating 12,000 calories a day.

She's not a Olympic athlete, she's not malnourished...she just wants to be the heaviest woman on Earth, at a whopping one thousand pounds.

Appearing on the Tyra Show, she talked about how, even though a walk to her mailbox and back is very tiring, she feels as though she is "healthy". She likes being a "bigger" woman. Her husband, who has a SSBBW fetish (Super Sized Big Beautiful Women fetish), urges her to eat more. To fuel the payment of the massive amounts of food that "need' to disappear down her gullet, Donna operates a site which allows men to request her to do various things for them on camera. Whether it be put on a set of lingerie on camera, or eat 10 pounds of bacon (again on camera), Donna livelihood is run on the budget she gleans from her [basically] porn site.

Although we live in a society where thin is considered the new pretty, a woman of Donna's size is just unhealthy. What motivated her to rise to her current weight (about 600 pounds)?

Well, Donna hinted at something. She said that she might, in fact, be a reverse anorexic.

Anoretics starve themselves to lose weight. They also exercise almost manically, in order to lose weight. The opposite of that? Well, the obvious answer would be that the reverse anoretic eats WAY more and doesn't exercise at all.

I know that describes a lot of people - me for instance. I eat lots, and exercise never. But I am not overweight and I'm in a very healthy weight category for my height. So this reverse anorexia (some would call it binge eating) must be considered more deeply, right?

Anorexia is a mental illness as well as a physical disease. So reverse anorexia must follow the same pattern. Therefore, something in the way one sees himself or herself must carry through to become embedded into that person's psyche and manifest in the form of an eating disorder. Cue anorexia, bulimia, EDNOS, and now, reverse anorexia.

Latest articles