Are Playgrounds Worth The Risk?

“Play is very important to children; it is not just something they do to fill in their time. Playing is the way children learn skills and is sequentially developmental (Exploring Early Childhood, 2001).”

Playgrounds are a fun and exciting place for children to play, while being a healthy outlet for their energy. By being able to run, climb, swing and jump, children are developing both their fine and gross motor skills, but also other aspects of physical development.

Playgrounds are especially good at improving the balance and coordination of children. Many playground pieces, such as balance beams, offer the child a challenge as well as providing a great way for them to develop their balance. Other pieces of equipment, such as climbing frames and rock walls, assist in increasing the coordination of a child, while wooden bridges that are fun for a child to jump on, help them to learn awareness of their own body in space.

Jacquie Radan, a junior primary teacher from a local primary school, said that “Play is an extremely important part of development, many kids come to school without basic motor skills and coordination because they weren’t allowed to play on playgrounds before starting school, some are also lacking intellectual development because parents don’t take the time to encourage their children to learn.”

This development in children provides the basis for a safer playing experience. As children develop better balance and coordination, their ability to play on the playground increases as they are less likely to fall and cause any injury. Also, this type of development, combined with the increased development in general motor skills, builds the child’s confidence, meaning they play more and take more calculated risks. By learning awareness, children also become more aware of themselves, and by extension they are more likely to become aware of others, thus reducing the risk of injury due to collisions on the playground.

Gender difference is common in young children, as many parents encourage one type of play for their child, depending on the gender. This can be detrimental for the overall development and wellbeing of the child, as they may miss out on vital aspects of development from an early age.

“Girls are often discouraged from taking part in rough-and-tumble play that they may enjoy as much as boys do. This type of play is helpful for every child’s physical and social development. (Exploring Early Childhood, 2001).”

By not being encouraged to play in every way, many girls are at a disadvantage when it comes to the school playground – often they are shy and not confident enough to go out onto the playground. This often means that when they do overcome the fear, they are at a greater risk of injury as they may be unsure of how to use the equipment, and be lacking in some aspects of physical development like coordination and balance.

Boys are more likely to take risks. When observing at a local primary school during recess, on young boy climbed to the very top of the playground and proceeded to use the top of the monkey bars as a balancing beam. He was likely showing off for his friends in an attempt to prove that he was the one more likely to take risks. Boys in general take more risks as they are encouraged from an early age to be rough and fearless, and therefore they associate this with taking risks. Girls on the other hand are encouraged to play more with dolls and indoor things that can be deemed “safe”, meaning that when it comes to school and the playground they are far less likely to be out taking big risks.

Parents also often dress their children with strong gender identity in mind – boys will often be dressed in looser pants and shirts, with sturdy running shoes, designed with running and playing in mind. Girls on the other hand, are not often dressed appropriately, with many being dressed in dresses and sandals, both of which are not suitable at all for extensive play on the playground. This lack of suitable clothing might also be a factor in girls taking fewer risks as they are less keen to truly play on the playground, while boys take advantage of their suitable clothing by running around and taking greater risks.

“83% of playground injuries occurred when children jumped or fell from equipment. Research shows the most serious playground injuries are caused when children fall from equipment onto a hard surface such as compacted earth, bitumen, or concrete. (Kidsafe Australia)”

Playground equipment has changed over the last five years, with the majority of playgrounds changing from wooden equipment to brighter, safer, plastic alternatives. This one chance decreases the risk of minor injuries such as splinters from the equipment, while insuring that it will last for longer without the risk of rot. However, while the equipment has changed, the surfaces have not, with most school playgrounds still being above a base surface of either bark chips or concrete, neither of which efficiently provides children with cushioning in the event of falls.

When surveyed, a larger amount of children admitted to having broken bones off of larger and more dangerous equipment, such as a flying fox and a climbing web, both things which it is simple to fall off of from a great height. This suggests that the amount of injuries on the playground is linked to the equipment being used.

“The most common injury to occur from play equipment was a fracture (49%). More than half of play equipment injuries were to 5-9 year old children. (Kidsafe Australia)”

Supervision also impacts on the amounts of injuries caused on playgrounds. When supervised, children are less likely to be seriously injured as the adult notices the hazard and takes steps to prevent any injury. In schools, however, this is not as effective as the majority of primary school playgrounds only have one supervising teacher, regardless of the fact that there may be up to a hundred young children playing in the area.

All evidence gathered in the study indicates that there are risks with school playgrounds, with consequences such as injury. However, the developmental benefits outweigh the safety risks, all of which can be minimized through new equipment and greater staff supervision.

Playgrounds provide many different types of physical development, from general fitness and well-being, to increased fine and gross motor skills, as well as better balance, coordination and spatial awareness. All of these developmental factors combined create a safer environment for children to play in as they have more control over their bodies.

Gender behavior impacts greatly on the amount of risks taken in the playground. Boys are more likely to take greater risks as they “show off” or simple act as boys are encouraged to, while girls are less tempted to take large risks due to their limited exposure to rougher types of play at a young age. The clothing worn by children also affects the way in which children behave on the playground, boys who are more likely to be dressed in pants and shirts with sturdy shoes are more keen to play more as their clothing is far more suitable than the dresses and sandals that the vast majority of young girls are dressed in.

Injuries are relatively common on school playgrounds, with fractures taking up 49% of all playground injuries. Cuts and bruises are also common among children on the playground, many from bumping into other children or falling from the equipment. Serious injuries such as fractures from falls can be reduced by implementing softer surfaces in playgrounds.

More supervision is going to be the best way to make playgrounds safer for children, as changing too many aspects of the actually playground equipment will take away much of the developmental opportunities and make them less fun for children, meaning they are less likely to spend time out on the playground. Also, with increasing levels of melanoma in society, sun smart behaviors and sunshades may play an important role in protecting the next generation of children as they play and develop.

Latest articles