Alcoholism

Introduction

Aims and Purposes

In the beginning I was to choose a topic that interested me. I started with Alcoholism in general, but Alcoholism was something huge and needed to be narrowed down. I began to think of the many processes of becoming an alcoholic. Genetics was a good place to start. After genetics I began to look into the symptoms and after that point, I thought of the way my family described Alcoholism as a disease. I became extremely interested in the question, “Is Alcoholism considered a disease” and from there I focused on all aspects of a disease. I was trying to learn whether or not it was or wasn’t a disease, and found many resources which had various views on the topic.

Methodology:

To start, I gathered information from many different websites viewing both sides of the argument I was researching. I kept track of the information by using Google Documents, and then began to narrow things down once I had many resources. I was able to use the database, offered to us by the school’s library to help find important information that would become useful. I was also able to interview a family member who was more than happy to speak with me about her ‘problem’ and give me information on my topic.

Definitions:

There were a few terms within my topic that I found difficult to understand. I needed to understand them in order to continue on with my research; therefore I found the key definitions of each. All definitions came from www.dictionary.com.

  • Chronic – Lasting a long period of time. Subject to a habit, pattern or behaviour for a long period of time.
  • Chronicity – Refers to chronic. A habit or disease that lasts a long period of time.
  • Alcoholism – A chronic disorder characterized by a dependence on alcohol.Progression – The act of progressing.
  • Symptoms – Any phenomenon or circumstance accompanying something and serving as evidence of it.
  • Relapse – To fall or slip back into a former state, practice, etc.
  • Disease – A disordered or incorrectly functioning organ, part, structure, or system of the body resulting from the effect of genetic or development errors, infections, poisons, nutritional deficiency or imbalance, toxicity, or unfavourable environmental factors. i.e. Illness, Sickness, ailment.

Body

Overview:

Alcohol has been around for many years and has affected our lives in many ways. Spending many days researching Alcoholism, I found myself searching for the answer of, ‘Is Alcoholism considered a disease?’ The history of Alcoholism as well as medical information will be discussed within this report. Within the body of this report, you will find that people believe that becoming an alcoholic lies within a person’s genes and a certain organization is the cause of relating alcohol to the concept of a disease. There will also be interesting facts of alcoholism included that briefly demonstrates just how dangerous being intoxicated could be.

Thesis:

My viewpoint is that Alcoholism should not be considered a disease. There is a lot of research that relates to Alcoholism being a disease but it all seems to come from one organization. I look deeper into the opposite side of the argument; Alcoholism as not a disease.

Interesting Statistics:

A large majority of people are dependent on alcohol. Every American adult will pay over $1,000 on alcoholic beverages per year and more than nine million children live with an adult who is alcohol dependant. Alcoholism is something that affects the alcoholic’s lives and the people around them. Within Canada alone, 12.5 million people, that is 4% of Canada, depends on alcohol. According to recent findings, “It has been stated that about 53% of the adults in the United States have stated that one or more of their close relatives has a drinking problem” (National Center for Health Statistics, 2009).

Alcohol contributes to 100,000 deaths per year and studies of suicide victims in the general population show that about 20% of such victims are alcohol dependant. Alcohol is the reason for one quarter of all emergency room admissions, one-third of all suicides, and more than half of all homicides and incidents of domestic violence. Nearly 23% of deaths during road accidents are due to alcohol interference. There are also 14,406 deaths a year due to liver poisoning.

The alcohol industry makes a large profit annually. Ontario got first place in alcohol sales with 5.4 million dollars, while Quebec came second with 4 million dollars in sales. Nunavut, being the smallest province in Canada made 3 billion in sales which is extremely high for such a small population. According to the most recent research, “Alcohol sales for the country of Canada totalled to $14.5 billion and went up 7% in the year 2000” (Statistics Canada, 2003).

History:

No one knows exactly when alcohol was first used but was said to have been an accidental creation. Scientists have found stone aged beer jugs that would prove that alcohol existed at least as early as Neolithic period (10,000 B.C).

Alcohol, such as beer and wine, was something that was offered to the Gods. The Ancient Egyptians made at least seventeen varieties of beer and at least twenty-four varieties of wine. Alcoholic beverages were used for pleasure, nutrition, medicine, ritual, etc. Egyptians also stored their wine within their tombs for its use in the afterlife.

After reviewing extensive evidence regarding the generally moderate use of alcoholic beverage, the historian Darby makes an important observation, “Moderate users were overshadowed by their more boisterous counterparts who added ‘colour’ to history” (Darby, 1977, p.590). Those who abuse alcohol cause more problems which then bring attention to themselves.

The Ancient Greek was a society where wine played a considerable role. The Greeks drank mead from the earliest times and probably developed the cultivation of Caucasian Vines around 1000 B.C. There is a legend of Dionysus being the one to teach the Greek how to make wine. His story is well known. He is considered by some; the son of Zeus and by others to be of Thracian origin. He is said to have fled to Egypt to escape the fury of jealous Hera and it as there that he learned how to make wine.

In the fifth century B.C, Plato had plotted what he considered to be good behaviour in relation to alcohol. He forbade alcohol to those under the age of eighteen. Those who were in the army had restrictions on their alcohol consumption. They didn’t abide to those rules though, and drank because they believed that it would bring them courage.

“Identification of physical lesions due to alcohol may have been complicated by the fact that the average life expectancy at that time was about 40 years: cirrhosis of the liver, damage to the pancreas and the cancers caused by ethanol require several decades of abuse before manifesting themselves” (A History of Alcoholism, 2009, p. 8). By the eighteenth century, many individuals were becoming concerned with the increasing level of drunkenness. People placed their concerns based on social matter rather than medical concerns. It wasn’t until mid-nineteenth century that people began to worry about the medical issues of Alcoholism.

Medical attention was taken into matter. People began two autopsies with one person who had never had a drink, and another person with someone who was an excessive drinker. They found that the alcohol consumer’s livers tissue had shrunken to a third of its normal size, hard, and covered with nodules. The condition was later termed ‘cirrhosis’. Laennec Black was cautious in summarizing his findings: “this condition is often found in heavy drinkers although as yet a specific link between their lifestyle and this disorder has not been established” (A History of Alcoholism, 2009, p. 23).

From the experimental work, doctors claimed that all of the ingredients in the flavouring of absinthe only thuja was truly toxic. As such, it was held responsible for the disorders and convulsions found within a chronic alcoholic. It was difficult to understand why absinthe fell into such disfavour.

The way in which alcoholics behave throw authority into question and undermine the very basis of society. Doctors were not interested in alcoholism for medical reasons but for the profit being made from the patients. Deaths that were linked to alcohol such as cirrhosis in the liver, was attributable in 1920 and 1921.

Alcoholism is better understood today. Alcoholism is viewed as something brought onto the alcoholic himself. “It is true that society stigmatizes other illnesses such as AIDS, mental illness, or Alzheimer’s disease. However, drinking seems different. It is a promoted social activity that is completely acceptable until one transgresses social boundaries and is deemed an alcoholic” (Alcoholism Today, Trish Williams).

Medical Information:

In 1956, the America Medical Association (AMA) stated that alcoholism as a disease. This being because it met the five criteria of a disease. The criteria of a disease are pattern of symptoms, chronicity, progression, subject to relapse and treatability. Alcoholism is considered to be an illness that crosses through all social classes. Anyone could get it, regardless of age, sex, education, ethnicity, religion etc. Alcoholism is also something that affects a person physically, emotionally and mentally. “One of the difficulties in recognizing alcoholism as a disease is it just plain doesn’t seem like one. It doesn’t look, sound, smell and it certainly doesn’t act like a disease” (The Disease Concept of Alcoholism, 1999, Sheila Leskinen)

There are four stages to alcoholism. It begins with the pre-stage, when people are amazed with the amount of alcohol they could consume. Other symptoms of the first stage could be, drinking to release stress or to relax. The second stage of alcoholism is when a person gets alcohol-induced blackouts. These are amnesia like periods that occur while drinking. Everything would seem normal but then later on in the night, the person would have no recollection what happened. Other symptoms include, sneaking extra drinks before an event and feelings of guilt. The third phase of alcoholism is crucial because loss of control sets in. Once the first drink is taken, the consumer will then have no idea what could happen. Other phases would be, using an excuse as reason to drink, increase in the amount and frequency of drinking, failed promises etc. And the final stage of alcoholism is chronic. Drinking could start from the time the person wakes up, until the time they go to bed. Other symptoms include, onset on lengthily intoxications, and obsession with drinking.

In a recent survey, 90% of people believe that alcoholism is a disease. Most argue that because the America Medical Association (AMA) has proclaimed alcoholism a disease. The American Medical Association made this determination on empirical evidence. The disease concept, in conjunction with AMA approval, has created a multi-billion dollar treatment industry which contributes billions to the health care industry.

The disease concept is said to strip the abuser of responsibility. A disease cannot be cured by a cause of will. The disease concept has effectively increased alcoholism and drug abuse. Furthermore, the concept has only been a reward to those who are professionals and government agencies responsible for providing recovery services. All in all, it has not benefited those who try to stop their drinking problem. “Medical professionals are admittedly incapable of helping drug addicts and alcoholics so they pass the buck. But, because of recidivism rates and treatment failure, the buck is passed right back” (Alcoholism is not a Disease, 2011)

Patients in search of help, on average, pay $18,000 to attend a program. Once the program is completed the patient is to attend AA meetings. If they do not attend those meetings, they are told that they are likely to relapse. Professionals provide their own set of absurdities. For example the America Medical Association’s (AMA) definition of alcoholism is, “Alcoholism is an illness characterized by preoccupation with alcohol and loss of control over its consumption, such as to lead usually to intoxication if drinking; by chronicity, by progression and by a tendency toward relapse.”

Some classifications of a disease require that characteristics and symptoms can be measured or observed. Many diseases fit this requirement, alcohol abuse does not. The so called disease symptoms only occur after the substance is absorbed. Unlike a disease such as cancer, people are born with it, or don’t know they have it until certain stages of the disease, but alcohol abuse is completely optional. With cancer there are visible anomalies that can be measured, but with alcoholics they cannot be found.

Keep in mind that smoking cigarettes is not considered a disease according to DSM IV. Smoking causes far more health problems than alcohol consumption and it still not considered a disease.

Gene mutations are not accountable and cannot explain complex behaviours. Genes provide proteins and do not guide behaviours. Chemical processes do not make a person an alcoholic. It is the person who makes the choice for themselves. It is completely their choice whether or not to take that first drink. It is their choice, to continue drinking in a way that may cause an issue. Alcohol consumption is not a reaction to bodily processes but merely a choice.

Conclusion

Analysis and Discussion:

Within every part of my research, I have learned a lot. There was a lot in one document in particular that made me think and realize just how correct it was. I had never believed alcoholism was a disease. It had always bothered me when my grandparents would tell me, “It’s not her fault. It’s a disease.” I was glad to find information that explained how it isn’t a disease. It is an optional choice. A few major discoveries was when I learned more about the America Medical Association (AMA) and learned just how incorrect and/or fraud their information was. Looking further into the topic helped me understand alcoholism greatly. It helped me in ways that would stay in my mind for a long time, and helped me understand the nature of alcoholism. Perhaps this information would be useful in the way of understanding alcoholic family members. I am glad to have chosen the topic that I did, because it was interesting and there was a lot of information that was easy to find and useful to my topic.

Recommendations:

Within my discoveries, I have learned that the professionals that society follows may be leading us in the wrong direction. The America Medical Association (AMA) for instance, is the reason alcoholism is considered a disease. They misused information in order to make money on their profession. Something that should be done, and I would definitely like to dig deeper into it, would be to look further into the AMA. I would like to know more about what they’re doing wrong, and to learn more about AA meetings. I could perhaps attend one at the Guelph Homewood in order to get information on the topic.

Possible Next Steps for Research:

If I were to expand on the topic of Alcoholism, I would begin with speaking with an alcoholic. I would continue by speaking with an alcoholic who is attending AA meetings, trying to get ‘better’ and then I would speak with someone who was treated. This could help me further understand the nature of an alcoholic and its treatments. I could speak to specialists to get their point of views. More information on the topic might be more useful because that way, every bit of knowledge is legitament

Bibliographic Information

  • Sheila Leskinen. (1999). The Disease Concept of Alcoholism. In undefined. Retrieved June 7, 2011, from http://www.alaskawellness.com/nov-dec99/alcohol.htm.
  • Caroline. (2011). Alcoholism in Canada. In Treatment and Recovery Center. Retrieved June 7, 2011, from http://www.ledgehill.com/resources/addiction-info/alcoholism-in-canada/.
  • Office of Information Services. (2010). FASTSTATS. In Alcohol Use. Retrieved June 7, 2011, from http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/alcohol.htm.
  • Alcoholism Information. (2011). Alcoholism: Information. In Alcohol Information and Resources. Retrieved June 7, 2011, from http://www.learn-about-alcoholism.com/.
  • Addict Info. (2011). Alcoholism is not a Disease. Retrieved June 7, 2011, from http://www.addictioninfo.org/articles/447/1/Alcoholism-is-not-a-Disease/Page1.html.
  • Jean-Charles. (2009). A History of Alocholism. In Drinkers in Antiquity. Retrieved June 7, 2011, from http://www.hoboes.com/Politics/Prohibition/Notes/Alcoholism_History/.
  • Statistics. (2003). Alcohol Sales in Cananda. In Alcohol and Seniors. Retrieved June 7, 2011, from http://www.agingincanada.ca/alcohol_sales_in_canada.htm.

Latest articles