National Eating Disorder Awareness

Besides being the month of winter love, February is national eating disorder awareness month. February shines a light on all eating disorders under its umbrella from bulimia and anorexia to binge eating. This month is not only to spark awareness, but is also a month to give those with eating disorders strength.

In America, over 25 million people have an eating disorder. An eating disorder may go unnoticed for a significant amount of time, and if one recognizes they have symptoms they usually ignore it.

This is why February is such an important month in the eating disorder community. The month is a collaboration with volunteers, disorder professionals, social workers, educators, and more all with the same goal of prevention.

Did you know each year has a theme?

This year’s theme is “Everybody knows somebody” because of the rapid spread of awareness. Just last year over fifty states and twenty-nine countries signed up for National Eating Disorder Awareness.

Did you know you could participate?

The organization NEDA [National Eating Disorders Awareness] already has plans for the month. Throughout February, walks for national eating disorder awareness will be all over the country. To find the nearest walk please go to NEDA’s website for more information.

Latest articles