Drug Addiction

Drug Addiction

Drug abuse is a worldwide phenomenon and it affects all of us, directly and indirectly. It is an ever growing industry which does not only destroy lives, but also has a negative impact on a country’s economy. Worldwide the illegal drug trade is a three-billion dollar industry.

What is addiction? The Naked Truth defines addiction as “a reoccurring compulsion by an individual to engage in a specific activity, such as gambling, using drugs and drinking.” Addiction or dependency may be physical and/or psychological.

There are five stages of drug addiction: Experimental, Occasional, Regular, Abuse and Addiction. Drug addiction is the repeated consumption of drugs. There are different types of drugs available, broadly categorized into three groups:

  • Stimulants
  • Depressants
  • Hallucinogens

Stimulants

Stimulants produce feelings of euphoria along with an adrenalin rush which is then followed by a crash. Usage of stimulants results in restlessness, paranoia and depression. Surprisingly, the most commonly used stimulant is coffee which has a high caffeine level. Illegal stimulants include amphetamines and cocaine.

Depressants

Depressants are highly addictive. They depress the central nervous system and put the user at ease. The most commonly used depressant is alcohol. Illegal depressants include morphine, codeine and tranquilizers. Inhalants such as hairspray, deodorant and glue are considered as depressants because they produce the same effect.

Hallucinogens

Hallucinogens are known as ‘mind altering drugs’. Hallucinogens such as LSD and PCP are frequently used. Hallucinogens are extremely dangerous and there are no legalized hallucinogens. While on a hallucinogen trip, a user may experience a combination of emotions, rapidly changing from one to another. Hallucination occurs and users may experience mixed senses such as seeing sounds and hearing colours. Mental breakdowns are commonly associated with the use of Hallucinogens.

Common Drugs

Cocaine

A drug made from the leaves of the cocoa plant. It's highly addictive, the chemicals are used in the manufacturing process, and it's sometimes mixed or ‘cut’ with other substances such as baking powder and heroin. As a white or brownish powder, it can be smoked, injected and snorted. Street names include, but are not limited to Coke, Crack, Nose Candy and Blow.

Ecstacy

Ecstacy is a tablet commonly found at clubs, parties, bars and concerts, known as a “club drug”, and it can vary in shape, colour and size. It's administered orally or crushed and injected/smoked. Street names include, but not limited to XTC, Smilies, Happy Pills and E.

LSD

LSD is a colorless, odorless liquid. It comes as small squares of paper, saturated with this liquid, are sold and it is usually placed under the tongue or swallowed. LSD is an extremely dangerous drug.

Marijuana (Dagga)

Marijuana is small flower heads or leaves. It can be rolled and smoked as a ‘spliff’ or ‘joint’ as well as smoked in a Hubbly-Bubbly, can cause mental disorders. Street names include, but not limited to Weed, Pot, Mary-Jane and Grass.

Heroin

Heroin is an extract of the Opium Poppy, a white or off-white powder which can be snorted, swallowed, injected and smoked. It's changed to Morphine in the brain, therefore it is a powerful painkiller. Street names include, but not limited to Smack, Junk, Sugars and Horse.

Drug Addiction Among Teenagers

The number one reason for drug abuse among teenagers is peer pressure. Problems at home and school are also associated with drug use. Teenagers also find drug use to be a method of coping with stress. Smoking of cigarettes is a common method used by teenagers to reduce stress levels and relax the smoker. Nicotine, the substance that makes smoking addictive, is a stimulant with similar effects to cocaine.

Worldwide, between eighty-thousand and a hundred-thousand kids start smoking each day according to a study conducted by TNT. The effect a cigarette has on the body usually wears off after twenty minutes.

Your body builds up a resistance to nicotine over a long period of time and it will no longer have the same effect as what it had in the beginning. Reportedly, this is why most drug addicts/ex addicts started experimenting with other drugs such as Dagga, Mandrax and Ecstacy which supplied the body with what it craved: something stronger.

It is a vicious cycle, the body gets used to the drug and then you progress to the next drug, the stronger drug, and it spirals out of control. One thing always leads to another.

Health Risks Associated with Drug Use

Drug abuse affects your whole body. It can cause neurological disorders such as depression, bipolar, psychosis and schizophrenia.

Other health problems associated with drug abuse include:

  • Liver dysfunction
  • High blood pressure
  • Short term memory loss
  • Damages the lungs
  • Causes cancer
  • Infection of the heart valves
  • Brain damage
  • Nasal cavity damage caused by snorting
  • Increased heart rate (puts you at risk of having a heart attack)
  • Insomnia
  • Hyperactivity
  • Anemia
  • Possible miscarriages when using while pregnant (also affects the unborn child)

Symptoms of Drug Addiction

  • Poor performance at school/work
  • Neglecting responsibilities
  • Tremors
  • Slurred speech
  • Bloodshot eyes and dilated pupils
  • Change in friends
  • Getting into trouble frequently
  • Sleep and appetite changes
  • Sudden weight loss or gain

Withdrawal Symptoms

Withdrawal is defined as "the discontinuation of the use of an addictive substance.
Symptoms may include: vomiting, irritability, anxiety, restlessness, excessive sweating, fever and hypoglycemia."

Drug addiction statistics have skyrocketed in the past 2-4 years and more drug addicts are diagnosed daily

You can contact a helpline if you, a friend or family member have a drug addiction.
Seeking help isn’t admitting you’re a coward, it shows you’re strong enough to fight addiction.

NZ: Alcohol and Drug Helpline – 0800 787 797

US: National Drug Information Treatment and Referral Hotline – 1 800 662 HELP (4357)

US: National Cocaine Hotline – 1 800 COCAINE (262 2463)

Sources

  1. The Naked Truth
  2. Online Medical Dictionary
  3. Wikipedia
  4. World Health Organization
  5. Help Guide
  6. Crises Helpline

Latest articles