What Does it Mean to be a Sperm Donor? - Comments

  • FrankJScott

    FrankJScott (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    57
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    Please try <a href=https://www.google.com/>Google</a> before asking <a href=https://mail.forum.vuwpgsa.ac.nz/viewtopic.php?p=8590#p8590>High Rated Onlne Casino Guide</a> f6ce2_3
    September 29th, 2023 at 05:57am
  • butterflywings16

    butterflywings16 (200)

    :
    Ghoul of 2016
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    @ dru seems insane.
    Maybe they want to give other people joy having kids, but also want apart of that kid's life as a friend or something? Are you saying you would shut the door in the face and be like tough shit? That's just stupid ignorant to your own child's needs to know where they came from.
    February 25th, 2013 at 06:34pm
  • folie a dru.

    folie a dru. (1270)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    36
    Location:
    United States
    @ butterflywings16
    If it's your sperm and you donated it, you sign a form signing away your rights (at least in the U.S.) and just because you have a whim that you all of a sudden didn't like the definition of the word "donation" and decided "oops" when you signed away your rights, then tough shit. Don't sign forms and don't give away shit you want.
    February 22nd, 2013 at 07:34pm
  • butterflywings16

    butterflywings16 (200)

    :
    Ghoul of 2016
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    @ dru seems insane.
    That's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is if it's your sperm, you should be able to be around that child, not parent, but be around. And that's only if you want too.
    February 22nd, 2013 at 07:31pm
  • folie a dru.

    folie a dru. (1270)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    36
    Location:
    United States
    @ butterflywings16
    If you don't want someone to make a baby with your sperm or eggs, don't donate them.
    February 22nd, 2013 at 07:18pm
  • butterflywings16

    butterflywings16 (200)

    :
    Ghoul of 2016
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    @ dru seems insane.
    And I'm not saying they should take it off and raise it what I'm saying is that if they wanted to be apart of a child's life as like a mentor or friend, they do have the right. That was that person's egg or sperm whether they let someone else raise it or not.
    February 22nd, 2013 at 06:30pm
  • butterflywings16

    butterflywings16 (200)

    :
    Ghoul of 2016
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    @ dru seems insane.
    It's quite different when it's kids you are dealing with rather than an article of clothing.
    February 22nd, 2013 at 06:28pm
  • folie a dru.

    folie a dru. (1270)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    36
    Location:
    United States
    @ butterflywings16
    If I donate a sweater to a thrift shop and you buy it and wear it and get offered a modeling contract because of how good you look in it, am I owed any of the money from your contract? When you donate something, you terminate rights to it. Otherwise, aren't you really just letting them borrow it?

    If someone wants kids, they should probably have their own and not try to steal the child another couple has tried to raise.
    February 22nd, 2013 at 04:33pm
  • folie a dru.

    folie a dru. (1270)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    36
    Location:
    United States
    I agree. I think it's important to be able to find your biological parents in order to retain a full medical history. (My mother is adopted and she cannot legally find out who her father is; I live in the U.S.)

    I do not agree a sperm donor should be able to sue for rights. If there was an agreement in place, that does make it a different matter, but generally speaking once you donate something you aren't allowed to claim ownership of it or any good that it spawns. So if you donate a sweater to a thrift store and some chick buys it and gets a modeling contact wearing it, you aren't entitled to any money she makes. Same basic concept.
    February 22nd, 2013 at 04:31pm
  • ur_best_nightmare

    ur_best_nightmare (210)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    26
    Location:
    United States
    I completely agree with this. It's one thing if you know the donor and there was a previous agreement. However, it should not be up to anonymous sperm donors to decide whether or not they would like to be a part of the child's life. The true parents don't even know if they want the donor to be involved, and unless the child wishes it, it should be left alone. The convenience of sperm banks is that one can conceive a child without having to be attached to the other biological parent forever. If we take that away, there's not too much of a point to them anymore.
    February 18th, 2013 at 03:18am
  • Fandango

    Fandango (775)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    Neutral Zone
    I agree with Audrey. I think it's irrational to anonymously donate sperm and then years down the line claim you want to know your child. It's no more your child than two parents who give their baby up for adoption (in a closed adoption setting, obviously).

    If there is a prior agreement, I say sure. But if you're donating to sperm banks, etc. you should have no claim to that child.

    Good article Cute
    February 12th, 2013 at 09:27am
  • Mr. Darcy

    Mr. Darcy (16090)

    :
    Article Editor
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    @ butterflywings16
    I agree. But that egg has been donated, and unless they've agreed on contact before the donation, like Audrey said, then the egg is no longer yours. It may have came from you, but it's someone else's now.
    February 7th, 2013 at 09:04pm
  • Audrey T

    Audrey T (6730)

    :
    Admin
    Gender:
    Age:
    35
    Location:
    United States
    Nice article.

    I agree with you that sperm (and egg donors and surrogates), shouldn't have any rights to the child unless specifically agreed upon before the donation - this would be more likely in the case of men/women who donate their sperm/eggs and surrogates, since they would know who they're donating to.

    In the case of sperm banks or egg donations, I think once you donate your sperm or eggs and it's implanted in someone else, it's no longer yours to claim. If you donate something, you give it away. You don't have ownership anymore.
    February 7th, 2013 at 06:05am
  • butterflywings16

    butterflywings16 (200)

    :
    Ghoul of 2016
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    @ castiel's vessel
    But without that egg, there would be no child
    February 7th, 2013 at 03:52am
  • Mr. Darcy

    Mr. Darcy (16090)

    :
    Article Editor
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    @ butterflywings16
    A lot can happen, yes. I know within my life I probably won't get the chance to have children of my own, but I know for a fact that if I donated an egg to someone to have a child, I would not think it's my right to know that child. It wouldn't be my child; I'd have provided the egg.
    February 6th, 2013 at 09:34pm
  • butterflywings16

    butterflywings16 (200)

    :
    Ghoul of 2016
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    @ castiel's vessel
    Why not be like their litte friend? Besides I'm sure you'll change your mind later in life. We're both sixteen a lot can happen
    February 6th, 2013 at 09:31pm
  • Mr. Darcy

    Mr. Darcy (16090)

    :
    Article Editor
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    @ butterflywings16
    I would never be an aunt to them, but if they wanted to be friends, then I'd be more than happy to.
    February 6th, 2013 at 09:28pm
  • butterflywings16

    butterflywings16 (200)

    :
    Ghoul of 2016
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    @ castiel's vessel
    So you wouldn't want to be a friend or aunt to them?
    February 6th, 2013 at 09:23pm
  • Mr. Darcy

    Mr. Darcy (16090)

    :
    Article Editor
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    @ butterflywings16
    If I donated an egg to someone who couldn't have kids, then no, I wouldn't think it's my right to know the child at a young age. It wouldn't be my child. If they wished to seek me out when they were older, I'd be happy to meet them but never be their mother.
    February 6th, 2013 at 07:45pm
  • butterflywings16

    butterflywings16 (200)

    :
    Ghoul of 2016
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    @ castiel's vessel
    But most probably did it so those people could have kids. I mean that no they shouldn't be taking other the father mother position but to get to know the child, I believe, is their right even at a young age. Just think if it was your kid, wouldn't you want to know?
    February 6th, 2013 at 07:42pm