What Does it Mean to be a Sperm Donor? - Comments

  • Mr. Darcy

    Mr. Darcy (16090)

    :
    Article Editor
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    @ butterflywings16
    But they donated their sperm/egg for people who can't conceive children naturally. Once they've donated it, it's no longer theirs to stake a claim over. It's why I don't believe that they should be able to get to know the child unless the child wanted to get to know them when they hit eighteen.
    February 6th, 2013 at 07:32pm
  • butterflywings16

    butterflywings16 (200)

    :
    Ghoul of 2016
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    I think that the person whose sperm or egg it was should have the right to at least get to know their 'child'. I mean they did help create.
    February 6th, 2013 at 07:09pm
  • Rayus

    Rayus (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Canada
    It wouldn't be much more confusing than having divorced parents with joint custody or visitation rights though. And some of those can get very confusing XD
    February 4th, 2013 at 12:30am
  • Mr. Darcy

    Mr. Darcy (16090)

    :
    Article Editor
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    @ Rayus
    The fact that it'd complicate things. A child has one set of parents is what happens now, and those parents are the ones who raise the child despite having a donated sperm/egg that helped conceive the child. Bringing the biological parents into the equation could quite possibly make the child confused as to who's their actual parents, the ones who raised them or the ones who they are biologically related to. The anonymity until the child is 18 is the better way because then they're an adult and understand that the ones who raised them are their parents and the ones they are biologically related to aren't.
    February 3rd, 2013 at 09:24pm
  • Rayus

    Rayus (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Canada
    So what would be so bad about the biological parent wanting to be involved in the child's life?
    February 3rd, 2013 at 09:17pm