Living Bipolar

Hasn't everyone had a day where their mood went up to the highest point it's ever been but then something comes along and kills that high? A simple word, or act, can ruin a good moment (or make a bad one into one of the best moments of your day). Everyone has probably had one of those days.

But what if your life was just "one of those days?" Could you live with it?

2.6% of Americans already live with that constant, or almost scheduled, up and down. 2.6% of Americans have been diagnosed with a form of Bipolar disorder. But what causes so many to have it? And why so now?

To begin, you have to understand that there is more than one form of Bipolar disorder. In fact, there are four total diagnosis Bipolar disorders, and can be listed as follows:

  • Bipolar I Disorder—defined by manic or mixed episodes that last at least seven days, or by manic symptoms that are so severe that the person needs immediate hospital care. Usually, depressive episodes occur as well, typically lasting at least 2 weeks.
  • Bipolar II Disorder—defined by a pattern of depressive episodes and hypomanic episodes, but no full-blown manic or mixed episodes.
  • Bipolar Disorder Not Otherwise Specified (BP-NOS)—diagnosed when symptoms of the illness exist but do not meet diagnostic criteria for either bipolar I or II. However, the symptoms are clearly out of the person's normal range of behavior.
  • Cyclothymic Disorder, or Cyclothymia—a milder form of bipolar disorder. People with cyclothymia have episodes of hypomania as well as mild depression for at least 2 years. However, the symptoms do not meet the diagnostic requirements for any other type of bipolar disorder. (Sources; NIMH, WebMD, and MayoClinic)

But what causes the disease? Does a person just wake up one day and decide subconsciously to be Bipolar? Like most things, the answer is no. But scientists have been working to find the reason behind Bipolar, so a more effective treatment can be found.

But it is mostly genetics, according to the National Institute of Mental Health play a major, but not 'perfect' role.

Bipolar disorder tends to run in families. Some research has suggested that people with certain genes are more likely to develop bipolar disorder than others. Children with a parent or sibling who has bipolar disorder are much more likely to develop the illness, compared with children who do not have a family history of bipolar disorder. However, most children with a family history of bipolar disorder will not develop the illness. -NIMH

So if you can't get it 'perfectly' from genetics, does that mean you're just broken? No. What it means is that you have joined a technical growing minority part of the population that has been diagnosed with and treated for a mental illness.

The onset of Bipolar is typically 23-25 years of age, although it is possible for children to have a pediatric form of the disease. Some Bipolar disorders, typically what is called tier 1 or even Cyclothymic, can dissipate over time and/or lead to less intense highs and lows.

Mental illness does not mean you're broken, it does not mean you're not worth anything. It makes you different, and often times means that you are either more creative or more technical in your way of thinking. It doesn't even have to be an illness to you, because my bipolar isn't an illness to me.

Whatever your preference on your mental health state, just know that Bipolar (like all mental health issues) is a very serious issue; and can require hospitalization if not treated. So if you think you have a mental health issue, or emergency, please get help. Life gets better, treatment can give you a completely new lease on life, and even a diagnosis can make the biggest difference.

Resources

For the US call 1-800-273-8255, it's anonymous and just talking to someone can help, and they can also help you find resources in your area.

For those who don't like to talk but type well, help can be found at http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

Latest articles