Living Bipolar - Comments

  • SweetDream

    SweetDream (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    Well i've been diagnosed with Bipolar depression and i've been suffering with it for almost eight years and yet i have not been a victim of abuse or any sort of oppression and i, have the sickness. i have also been taking medication for 8 years and still not stable enough to leave them however much i have tried to get off the medicines by giving effort.
    Yes i must say it is not at all easy to treat any type of mental/psychological disorder. Though as i could see many of you have the experience and what could you advise me if any of you have gotten over the depression? i have tried many ways in fact lots of ways to actually get well and live a normal happy life! but i am still the same and still with many ups and downs!
    October 23rd, 2013 at 05:20pm
  • TypicallySadistic

    TypicallySadistic (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    @ gonna hear dru roar.
    It was at you and a couple other commentors. But I understand your feelings, and thus apologize for my offensive statement.
    September 22nd, 2013 at 05:28am
  • folie a dru.

    folie a dru. (1270)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    36
    Location:
    United States
    @ TypicallySadistic
    I'm just going to assume this is directed at me. So my answer is that I'm not defensive about having Bipolar, I'm defensive about people telling me my Bipolar is because I was abused and so I should stop letting people abuse me.
    September 22nd, 2013 at 12:20am
  • TypicallySadistic

    TypicallySadistic (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    As much as I admit that people without a mental illness (although that's honestly not how I see my Bipolar and PTSD) shouldn't say that they understand, I have to say that just a few comments ago I was being told that I had assumed when all that was used for this article was research of a general and regulated Bipolar populace.

    Not saying that it is easy to treat, or to live with. But it seems like one of the people commenting wants to have her cake and eat it to. You cant have it both ways, you can't tell someone WITH the "disease" who has been being treated and has researched it that they have no right to say something but then turn around and say that to someone who does not have the "disease."

    My question to you is; why get so defensive over something that makes you unique and is something you can't change? Embrace your differences, even the ones that seem to suck, because honestly it helped me (and helps many people) live with them without being defensive about it. Don't allow discrimination, true, but at the same time don't bite the head off of someone who makes a generalized opinionated statement, as everyone will have an opinion.
    September 20th, 2013 at 06:36pm
  • folie a dru.

    folie a dru. (1270)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    36
    Location:
    United States
    @ chrisjohnson16
    Your knowledge and experience are not the knowledge and experience of someone with the disorder. When you make judgments like that it happened because of abuse and we need to stop letting people hurt us, you are going to offend people with the disorder who know what you're saying is not true. Additionally, claiming it's "easy" to treat and "simple" is going to offend people with the disorder who know that is not true.

    Sometimes if you don't actually know, it's best not to say anything at all.

    You are claiming to know about the disorder than someone who has it and that is going to sit about as well as a straight person telling a gay kid he knows what they're going through when it comes to discrimination.
    September 20th, 2013 at 05:18pm
  • xSweet.Afterlifex

    xSweet.Afterlifex (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    36
    Location:
    United States
    @ chrisjohnson16
    Yes, but your experiences as you said, aren't as someone that has the problems, but because of, so maybe you shouldn't judge, and I'm sorry but that seems to be what you are doing, ANYONE, and try and "help" if you truly do not understand. I've been around people my entire life that think because they have dealt with me, or my sibling that they know EVERYTHING about our condition when in reality.

    They don't know shit.

    Also going back to your first comment... Mental illnesses are not the easiest to treat. If they were easy to treat then even WITH the medications, people like me that ACTUALLY have the illness, wouldn't still have the symptoms and still have to deal with it. It's not like you take the med and it goes away, like if you were to take a tylenol or pain killer.

    It's still there, and it is not easy to treat. So do those of us that actually have the illness a favor and stop before you offend anyone too bad.

    And obviously you don't 'understand' like you think you do.

    xoxo J
    September 20th, 2013 at 06:26am
  • chrisjohnson16

    chrisjohnson16 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Canada
    I am not judging at all guys. I'm really sorry you took offence to what I've said. I am surprised and hurt at what you think of me. I know medication and maybe therapy may not "cure" or help some things, I was just sharing some of the knowledge I have to help those who may want to seek help for things they may not understand. Our minds, and our emotions are the most complex things about a person, and are not easily construed. These things cannot be any easier to treat than any illness one might have. Doctor's misdiagnose every day. I was only speaking from my knowledge and experience, and I know that every person is different and that one thing cannot define someone. One thing I do know is, having somewhere to go when you need help, can help. I know I don't have the answers, and I was not speaking about every one, I was only trying to try and share some knowledge so maybe, just maybe I might be able to help someone.
    September 20th, 2013 at 06:18am
  • folie a dru.

    folie a dru. (1270)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    36
    Location:
    United States
    @ chrisjohnson16
    I'm sorry. Why do you believe mental illnesses are easy to treat? They aren't at all. People are often misdiagnosed or they have to cycle through several different types of medication.

    Plenty of people who weren't abused have Bipolar. It's genetic. I got it from my mother, who also has it.

    You don't have a mental illness, but you're speaking like you have the authority to speak for those of us who do. You don't. Your opinions are offensive and hurtful and are not true of those of us with Bipolar. It's possible your ex was abused and had a mental illness, but that is your ex. We are not all your ex. Please quit judging all those with mental illness by your ex. We are individuals.
    September 14th, 2013 at 02:56am
  • FanGirlGoneWild

    FanGirlGoneWild (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    Australia
    I was diagnosed with bipolar type 2 a few weeks ago and this has really helped me understand my illness a lot better, so thank you this has been a big help to me
    September 13th, 2013 at 04:07pm
  • xSweet.Afterlifex

    xSweet.Afterlifex (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    36
    Location:
    United States
    @ chrisjohnson16
    and not all of us with these issues are victims of abuse. That truly offends me. And I believe you need to rethink that. It is a really horrible fucking accusation.

    @ gonna hear dru roar.
    I completely agree with what you said, but I'd like to add a few things in...

    All of the "signs or symptoms" depend on the person. Bi-Polar disorder runs in my family... and some of my family, my brother for instance, can go, months, weeks, years, days without having an "episode." and he isn't medicated, but has been diagnosed.

    Me, I'm Bi-polar and BPD. Without my medication, I'd be in a psychiatric hospital permanently. The reason for an episode, be it the depression, or the crazy ass back off me or you're gonna get hurt, can depend on your surroundings, and things that TRIGGER whatever type of episode. It isn't always a cycle.

    Yes there are stustudies but honestly, can these studies, and "Statistics" monitor every single person on this planet with this mental illness? No, it can not. Again, every single person is different.

    I'm in therapy for my illness, and take medication, and even then, it doesn't always help, because there can be that one teeny tiny thing that triggers something causing me to go hot to cold or cold to hot in under 60 seconds. And that's either way, the depressed side or the anger end of it to the teary crying end to the happy side...

    I understand, that people need made aware of it, but we're not all the same. And I for one, am not a fucking statistic....

    Sorry if my comment offends anyone but, I'm only saying what no one else will.
    September 13th, 2013 at 03:22am
  • shoesus30

    shoesus30 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    35
    Location:
    Uganda
    Wonderful.

    Share a website with you ,

    ( http://www.shoes2.us// )

    Believe you will love it.

    We accept any form of payment.

    http://www.shoes2.us/Michael-Kors-Handbags-n2447/
    September 10th, 2013 at 04:20pm
  • TypicallySadistic

    TypicallySadistic (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    @ likeitmatters

    @ redhead deadhead.

    @ chrisjohnson16

    @ psychotic secrets;

    @ hellokittymusicfreak

    Thank all of you for your comments. This is what I'd hoped for when I wrote this, so I am glad that you felt that you could comment.
    September 10th, 2013 at 01:30pm
  • likeitmatters

    likeitmatters (500)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    I have bpd and a close friend of mine is bipolar type II. In each other we have found someone who understands how our illness can be amazing or total hell depending on how we wake up in the mornings. I feel incredibly lucky to have him understand without trying or me having to explain because he feels very similar.

    This was a very well written article and shares a lot more information than most others I've read on the topic. You have covered all areas and explained this misunderstood condition very clearly.

    I'd like to take this opportunity, if I may, to share my university Mental Health and Disability awareness project. It features people who experience bipolar, bpd, depression, autism and more. I would be very grateful for your input: This Is The New Normal (Don't Call Me Mad)
    September 10th, 2013 at 12:23pm
  • dally winston.

    dally winston. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    As being recently diagnosed with BPD, this was a very helpful article. Very informative.
    September 10th, 2013 at 10:17am
  • genocideforjenny

    genocideforjenny (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    Wonderfully written, well informative and a very positive outlook. Well done!
    September 10th, 2013 at 09:16am
  • chrisjohnson16

    chrisjohnson16 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Canada
    Mental illnesses are the easiest things to treat, but are also the least to get treated. There is so much stigma on the words "mental illness" that people go into denial, or just are too afraid to get help. For something that is so easily treated, and one of the most common things to have, I really wish people would seek help more often. Getting better starts with one step, and one step leads to another, and sooner or later, things do get better, but only if you want them to. Only if you want to choose to make a difference and make the change.
    I do not have a mental illness, but I have been at the hand of an abusive relationship because of someone who has had it. I have seen what happens to a persons mind, feelings, and soon their actions, and the way their lives spiral down so quickly. It affects the person so much, I cannot begin to imagine what it feels like... but as much as it hurts the victim; maybe some of you, it can also hurt a lot of people you care about. Not only is it hard for loved ones to see what you are going through, but sometimes, people who do not seek help, end up hurting others.
    I'm sure more often though, those of you who have this illness, you are a victim to those who have hurt you. Please try and stop the hurt of you and others, and try to seek help. Although you don't know me, and I'm sure you've heard this before, but trust me when I say, things will get better. But the only way they can, is if you make that choice, no one else.
    September 10th, 2013 at 07:08am
  • psychotic secrets;

    psychotic secrets; (1400)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I thought this was well written. Nice and informative.
    September 10th, 2013 at 12:13am
  • EndlesslyandForever

    EndlesslyandForever (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    I was diagnosed with Bipolar I disorder when I was only eight. It can make my life a living hell sometimes, and most of the time I get through it. Sometimes it's just completely unbearable.

    I've suffered through Manic phases, Mixed episodes and Depressive phases. The worst - by far - is the Depression. Mixed episodes can be pretty hard too, but I usually make it through them. When I'm Manic, I don't give a fuck about anything. It's pretty awesome until I come down and face the repercussions.

    I've learned so much about the disorder since I first found out I had it. I can't always recognize the signs of Mania or Depression, but when I do, it's easier to face them.

    All of this is just my experience with Bipolar.
    September 9th, 2013 at 09:18pm
  • TypicallySadistic

    TypicallySadistic (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    @ gonna hear dru roar.
    I got my information from the National Institute of Mental Health, the neurology department of the Mayo Clinic and a tiny, tiny, tiny amount from Web MD.

    Yes, it is possible to diagnose the last two types of Bipolar without the episodes because they are "bipolar-like" but still fall under bipolar in the end.

    And I do apologize for making it seem like rapid cycles happened more often than they do, that was not my intention. I used an example most could relate to, having a great moment and then having something small ruin it.

    I myself have Bipolar I and when I am cycling (which happens like clockwork every two years) I do have rapid episodes. Daily ones are rare, but when someone is cycling they become a little, but not much, more common.

    I had no intention of saying that mood swings happen throughout the day, nor did I wish to offend others with Bipolar, I was merely stating facts that I researched and offering the advice that having this, or any other, mental "illness" doesn't always need to be seen that way; BUT that they are all important and sometimes you will need help.

    I apologize if my article offended you.
    September 9th, 2013 at 05:10pm
  • folie a dru.

    folie a dru. (1270)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    36
    Location:
    United States
    -blink-

    I'm Bipolar II and I have had manic episodes... I'm curious as to where you are getting your information from. As I understood it, you could not diagnose Bipolar with the absence of manic episodes. (This is what I was told by my doctor.)

    I also feel this article suggests rapid cycling is A LOT more common that it is. Rapid cycling occurs in less than five percent of people with Bipolar. The majority of use have cycles that could last weeks or months. We do not have mood swings throughout the day the way this article suggests.
    September 9th, 2013 at 04:49pm