McDonald's or Good Health?

When you walk into McDonald’s do you look at the calories or carbs that an order takes up? If you don’t, then you should. Although McDonald’s and other fast food restaurants can contribute to weight gain, it is still the people buying the unhealthy food’s fault. It is common sense knowing how unhealthy a Big Mac or an order of fries is. Instead of buying something unhealthy like those orders, order something such as a grilled chicken salad or a parfait. Instead of even going to McDonald’s, you should go to a much healthier fast food restaurant such as Subway. Obesity isn’t fast food restaurants’ faults; it is the person who chooses to buy a certain unhealthy at a fast food restaurant.

Fast food restaurants like McDonald’s have added healthier options to their menu for people to order. One of those options is milk. Milk is still more nutritious than pop or coffee. Pop and coffee in fact are caffeinated and when caffeine wears out, you become tired and your body wants more caffeine. Another option is apples. Apples have many benefits. They help regulate blood and have anti-cancer and anti-asthma benefits. Possibly the most healthiest option is salads. The main ingredient in salads is lettuce. Lettuce is rich in vitamins and minerals. It helps keep your body clean, your mind alert, and body in good health. Another ingredient in salads is meat such as grilled chicken and turkey; meats are filled with proteins and iron.

Food at fast restaurants such as McDonald’s are often deep-fried. When frying the food in deep fryers, McDonald’s uses a Canola blend cooking oil, which contains 0 grams of trans fat per labeled serving, to prepare its fried menu items. The food items that are cooked with the oil include French fries, hash browns, Chicken McNuggets, crispy chicken choices and the Filet-O-Fish. On the McDonald’s website, it advices its employees not to eat the food they serve. This is because they want their employees to avoid meals with burgers and fries and eat healthier options like salads and sandwiches instead.

A meal consisting of burgers and fries at a fast food restaurant is not complete without soda pop. Most of the time soda is sold in bulk. They can be sold in glass bottles, two-liters, and even twenty-four packs. Regular pop can contribute to weight gain and can also contribute to having diabetes, tooth decay, weakened bones, and it has also been linked to depleting the human body of vitamin A. Some research suggests that pop, even diet pop, has a wide effect on the taste buds; it can actually make you feel hungrier given the artificial sweeteners that signal the brain to crave more food, this can make losing weight a lot more difficult even diet pop has its own problems.

Yes, I think fast food restaurants can contribute to obesity but it’s the people who are buying the foods, knowing that they are unhealthy and knowing that there are healthier foods available on the fast food’s menu.

Latest articles