Teen Depression

Teen Depression Nowadays, you cannot tell who's genuinely depressed, and who's following the emo trend and cutting just for fashion.

You have to sort out who is really depressed, because of rising rates of teen violence and suicide.

It is likely that there are more people who are depressed for legitimate reasons, because there's a lot to be upset over. There's a snowball effect, until the problem becomes overwhelming.

Divorce, bullying and social ostracism/cruelty [rising emo trend makes more people to be mocked], abuse, stress at school, the list could go on forever.

Teen depression is, in fact, an issue.

The symptoms are numerous and differ slightly from adult depression. Adults may become more listless, but teenagers are generally become disgruntled and even all around hostile.

Teenagers may exclusively experience headaches and stomach aches that occur without medical reason, or withdraw from most people. Adult depression may cause a need for complete isolation, but teenagers will often keep up some friendships, although socializing less than before.

Other symptoms include sadness or hopelessness, restlessness, agitation, irritability, anger/hostility, feelings of guilt and worthlessness, frequent crying/tearfulness, lack of motivation, lack of enthusiasm, withdrawing from friends and family, fatigue, loss of interest in activities, difficulty concentrating, or changes in sleeping and eating habits. More obvious signs are thoughts of death and suicide.

Teenagers depend on adults in their lives to recognize depression, considering their guardians are their primary transportation and they need their permission for things such as counseling.

Many adults brush off the symptoms as "just being teenagers", but having good friends would generally balance out the anger and sadness. If teens are still irregularly mopey and disgruntled, it is a sign that they may need help.

After all,if depression remains untreated, it can lead into problems at school like acting out or doing poorly, eating disorders, suicide, running away, internet addiction, violence, and substance abuse.

Severe cases can be treated with pills, but there are high risks as well. The pills were developed for and tested on adults and so far, we do not understand the affects on teenage brains. In fact, Prozac may interfere with proper brain development in children and teens.

"The human brain is developing exponentially when we are very young, and exposure to antidepressants may affect or influence the wiring of the brain, especially when it comes to certain elements that have to do with stress, emotion and the regulation of these", Amir Raz wrote.

Ironically, the depression medication may result in thoughts of or attempted suicide, new forms of or worse depression, new or worse anxiety, feeling of agitation, restlessness, insomnia, panic attacks, aggressive behavior, anger, violence, hypomania/mania, or other forms of unusual behavioral changes.

Latest articles