How to Fit Healthy Choices Into a Busy Day

Having a healthy lifestyle can be difficult for anyone these days, especially when your number one excuse is that you are too busy. Even if that is sometimes a secret code for being a bit lazy or tired, these suggestions are so easy to achieve that it will almost feel like you aren’t even trying to be healthier. No matter how busy you are, take a few minutes out of your day to skim this article and then start to work towards a healthier you!

Exercise with TV

Everyone enjoys watching TV, whether it is a favourite TV show or a movie, and instead of sitting on your bum being a coach potato you can actually use that time more efficiently! Do some stretches or lift some weights while catching up on your shows and your body will thank you for it.

H2O

One of the worst things you can do to yourself is not drink enough water. Simply put, your body needs water to function, and you can never drink too much of it! If you have a little trouble remembering at first, then keep a water bottle at your desk or in your handbag at all times, or even set reminders on your phone. You will feel much better when you’re hydrated, and remember that pure water will hydrate you more than other drinks such as coffee.

Stashes of Snacks

Equally important to water is food. Sometimes during a busy day you might find yourself skipping meals or opting for unhealthy alternatives because fast food is an easier option. Instead, keep a stash of healthy snacks at your desk or in your bag so you don’t have to resort to deep fried food or pizza. Some tasty options are dried fruit, nut mixes, and muesli bars. These also tend to have a long expiry so they will always be ready when you need them.

Say Goodbye to Stress

This may initially sound difficult or even impossible, depending on just how busy your days are, but you only need to give yourself five minutes to wind down. The more you do it, the easier letting go of stress will be. Find a technique that works for you and then fit it somewhere in your day. Perhaps a simple walk around the block in the morning is relaxing enough for you, or you only need five minutes of meditation after work. Just remember that being healthy is not all about your body; it includes your mind as well.

Exercise at Your Desk

Most people will be sitting down for the majority of the day, whether it is at school, at work, or even on the bus. You can utilise this time to exercise a little, and it can be done in a subtle manner too. Simple shoulder shrugs and stretches are beneficial, and if you have a heavy stapler lying around then you can even try to do some bicep curls when no one is looking. Whenever you have the opportunity to, stand up and stretch, because changing your position will relieve the tension in your body.

Sleep

Your body cannot function optimally if you are not sleeping properly. Ensure that you can wind down before getting into bed, and that you are getting the right amount of sleep. Usually a healthy sleep depends on what you do before you hit the pillow. Try turning off your cell phone, darkening the room, doing some meditation, reading a chapter of a novel, or drinking a warm cup of your favourite tea. As long as you have a comfortable bed and pillow as well, your sleep will be more rejuvenating than ever and you’ll be prepared to face the next day.

Today’s busy lifestyles means that it can be difficult to find the time to promote your health, but that doesn’t mean it is impossible. By adding in these small and simple tricks to your daily routine, your body and mind will be happier and healthier.

Latest articles