Bipolar Mood Disorder

Bipolar Mood Disorder Bipolar mood disorder.
Manic depressive disorder.
The rollercoaster ride of your life.

Bipolar disorder is a mental illness primarily characterized by significant changes in mood, alternating from manic highs to depressive lows. In most cases, between these episodes the patient may feel normal and is capable of functioning normally, as if they never had the disorder in the first place. Episodes normally last for weeks or months, but in the case of rapid-cycling bipolar disorder, moods could drastically shift in a matter of days or hours.

When experiencing mania, patients may have an inflated self-esteem and a dramatic increase in energy with less need for sleep. They may have euphoria and feel as if they are invincible - they can do anything. They may even become irate and aggressive, have a heightened desire for sexual activity, and may be more prone to take risks freely. Normally if a person is manic, they are not accepting that they have a problem which needs care and attention. The high is too good to give up, and most will resist treatment for mania unless it is forced upon them.

Hypomania, a milder form of mania, tends to last for a shorter time than mania, lasting on average for only a few days. Hypomania is considered the more ‘artistic’ side of bipolar disorder, as during this time many creative ideas and creations are born.

When experiencing depression, patients may feel persistently sad and empty. Hobbies may become tedious and boring, sleep may be disturbed. Weight gain or loss normally occurs, and feelings of guilt, worthlessness or hopelessness are common. Suicidal tendencies may show in severe cases, and extreme fatigue may take part in everyday tasks.

A third face to bipolar disorder is a combination of mania and depression, called a mixed state. Mixed states have symptoms pertaining to aggression and an increased amount of energy, but also the sorrow and emotional pain which accompanies depression.

Suicide within the numbers of those with bipolar disorder is high, taking up to fifteen percent of all successful suicides - and many more try. Suicide is a threat in both the depressive and the manic states, and stress and personal traumatic events can increase the risk even still.

The exact causes for bipolar disorder are unknown, and may remain unknown for quite some time. However, some scientific studies show that bipolar disorder may have genetic ties. That is, if both of your parents had bipolar disorder, you’re at a risk of developing the illness.

Bipolar disorder is commonly treated successfully with a combination of medication and psychotherapy. Medication normally applied to treatment is lithium, a naturally occurring salt which stabilizes moods and can prevent most manic or depressive episodes. In some cases, antipsychotic medications are also applied to treat or prevent manic or depressive psychosis.

Latest articles