"Under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance

"Under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance When discussing whether or not "under God" should be taken out of the Pledge of Allegiance, I typically hear the same argument.

"This is the way it was written and that is why we should leave it".

The Pledge of Allegiance originally did not include the words 'under God', despite the fact that it was written by a pastor.

The original Pledge of Allegiance reads as follows:

I pledge allegiance to my Flag,
and to the Republic for which it stands:
one Nation indivisible,
With Liberty and Justice for all.

It was penned in 1892.

The Knights of Columbus in New York City felt that the Pledge was incomplete without the mention of God. In 1951, their Board of Directors moved to add the words 'under God' to the Pledge when they opened their meetings.

In 1954, on Flag Day, President Eisenhower officially changed the pledge of allegiance saying: "In this way we are reaffirming the transcendence of religious faith in America's heritage and future; in this way we shall constantly strengthen those spiritual weapons which forever will be our country's most powerful resource in peace and war".

The moral? If you are going to argue the words 'under God' in the Pledge of Allegiance, please come up with a better argument, one that is actually true.

Latest articles