Failed Terrorist Attempts

Failed Terrorist Attempts In recent years the number of attacks from organized terrorist groups has greatly increased due to political unrest and different conflicts that have plagued the world. These attacks have claimed many lives worldwide and they continue. This article reflects on a handful of terrorist attacks in recent history all that were stopped before they could do any serious damage.

In 2001 a man by the name of Richard Colvin Reid boarded an airliner. When on board an airline attendant saw Reid lighting a match and told him that smoking wasn't allowed on the plane. He apologized and she left. A few minutes later she saw him crotched over the empty seat he was sitting beside. She went over to look and then Reid grabbed her. An altercation ensued and with the aid of several other passengers Reid was subdued. The flight was diverted and later it was discovered that he had concealed a bomb in a pair of shoes that he was trying to detonate.

In Germany in 2006 a group of terrorists constructed a bomb from designs they found on the Internet. The bomb cost between 200-300 Euros to build. They planned to bomb a German train for the Fifa World Cup 2006. The plan was delayed however until July 31st. When they tried to detonate the bomb in the train it wouldn't go off do to faulty design. 21 year old El Hajdib was arrested on the train and 4 more people were later arrested. The reason for the attack remains unknown.

Again in 2006 another larger terrorist plot was uncovered. A plot was made by pro-Pakistan radicals to use liquid explosives to bomb planes in the United Kingdom, US and Canada. The devious plot was discovered by UK police and 24 suspects were arrested and charged on August 9th 2006.

Another terrorist plot was uncovered in New Jersey, USA in 2007. A group of radical Islamics planned to storm Fort Dix, a military base in New Jersey with sub-automatic weapons. On January 31st the radicals took a video tape of them test firing their weapons and screaming Islamic chants to a store to be converted to DVD. The employee converting the tape saw the content and contacted authorities. Six men were later arrested by the FBI, five who had planned to raid the Fort and one who supplied the weapons.

Again in 2007 another terrorism attempt took place in London, England. Two car bombs were discovered. One was in a car parked outside the Tiger Tiger Nightclub. Another car was found illegally parked and towed to an impound lot where the bomb was discovered. The bombs were made with a mobile phone detonator. Police managed to gather evidence from the cars after the bombs were disabled. Later a 27 year old doctor was arrested and charged with the bombings. Another man was suspected but never charged.

Finally on May 22nd 2008 police were called to the Exeter restaurant after what sounded like a gunshot or bomb going off came from a washroom of the store. In the washroom police discovered Nicky Reilly. He had been trying to detonate two bombs, one in the main area of the restaurant and another with him in the washroom. He was the only person injured. It was later uncovered that Reilly had the mental age of 10 and it was suspected he had been talked into the suicide bombing attack. Later four Islam radicals were arrested.

Fortunately no body was killed in any of these terrorist attacks. All the plots were uncovered before they could happen or failed by themselves. These should go to show how the many security measures taken by airports, train companies and others are really necessary.

Latest articles