Genocide

Genocide I'm going to first give you all a very important lesson in History. This lesson takes place May/June of 1944.

For starters, I'm going to let you know that the term Holocaust is actually formed from the Greek word of holókauston. (meaning a completely (holos) burnt (kaustos) sacrificial offering to a god). I'm now going to let you laugh at how Adolf Hitler managed to make a religions term morph into a newer meaning of 'referring to the violent death of a large number of people.'

Most of you only know about the Holocaust from World War II, but there was also one of the like during World War I. This one goes by the name: Armenian Genocide, or now it is most commonly known as: Nazi Holocaust.

Let's focus on these two events in world history. What was similar about them? Well, the list can go on for that, but I'm going to list the three important ones:

  1. Mass Murder, or 'Genocide'
  2. Started out as a religious sacrifice
  3. Prejudice. (religion & sexuality in one, ethnics in the other)

The Nazi holocaust wasn't nearly as harmful as the Holocaust of 1944 (led by Adolf Hitler) by means of number of deaths. The Nazi Holocaust lost over 1.5 Million Armenians. Now, that seems like a lot right? Well, Adolf Hitlers Holocaust took out over six million Jews, if you include the Nazi attack in with his reigns, the death toll is estimated at between 9 and 11 million Jews.

I'm going to include some gory details that you probably didn't want to know, but you should know because soon enough, it'll be happening again.

Most of the Jews were stored in Concentration and Death camps. No one knew when it was their time to die, but it was cruel how they did it. It was cruel that they DID do it. When the Jews went to take showers in this large bathroom with no privacy, instead of water coming out through the shower heads, toxic gases (Zyclon B) came out. That wasn't the only way of gassing, they also had mass gas chambers, which is worse, because they knew that they were lining up single file and being crammed into this chamber just to be gassed.

Now, although this was the way that most Jews were executed, they weren't all gassed. Most of the young and healthy Jews survived that, and were then used as slaves, test subjects to other ways of murder that could be used in the war they were fighting, and then those who were left, were lined up and shot one by one.

That's going to leave a lot of corpses, right? Well, of course they had to get rid of them. What did they do? Burn them, and bulldoze the dead bodies into holes dug deep into the earth and bury them without a grave.

Now let's fast forward starting from the year 2003 to the present.

Most of you must know what's going on over in Sudan and Darfur right now, at this very moment. It might not be as bad as the holocaust was, or as other genocides in history were, but it's on it's way.

Right now, women can't even leave their houses, there are people being sent to rape and kill them.

They may be at war, but by the way that news is talking about it, it's headed to be one of the 'greatest' genocides in history. Now, to me, that doesn't sound too appealing. I don't care how 'great' it's going to be. It's wrong.

The main question of my essay is: Who's doing anything about it?

Sure, we're sending over money and first aid camps, but really guys, what's that going to do? The money is going to go towards more weapons so they can win battle, and the tents are only providing a place for people to get raped, in my opinion.

We keep learning about the holocaust in schools, in hope that if everyone knows about the terrors it caused, that it won't happen again.

Well, we're still being preached to about the holocaust, and what's going on? A major developing genocide.

Latest articles