Life as a Labour Supporter - And for Good Reason - Comments

  • I'm from USA, but I can still understand your pain. The recession is really hitting southern Arizona hard, especially since the copper mines were abandoned. Your article and comments leave me to wonder: is there any goverment that is somewhat functioning properly anymore?
    June 12th, 2010 at 03:05am
  • I totally agree :D i am from the north west and the miners strike broke familes up and the economic effect can still be seen today.
    i was hoping to go to university but with camerons plans to higher students fee it looks unlikey i will be able to go.
    June 12th, 2010 at 12:11am
  • I agree with you, if you are part of the working class then there is a very limited amount of reasons to support the Conservaties, however you do not disprove the option of the Liberal Democrats - don't disregard them simply because they haven't been in power for about 80 years. Labour will always be more generally beneficial, but honesly some of their latest ideas about ID cards are just plain scary; it just indicates a power-hungry controlling government to me, and that really had to end.
    The cuts will hit everybody but the politicians that make them and their 'chums' yes, but there really, there's a huge deficit that isn't going to resolves itself.
    June 11th, 2010 at 01:26am
  • Lozzie Who, I also feel very strongly about this and I thank you for writing this article :)
    Why should students, the working class and the normal people who provide essential services to keep the country running have to pay for the government's and bankers' mistakes? Why should we have to 'pull our weight' to buy a Tory MP a duck island or to clean his moat? Why should we pay higher taxes or lose our jobs so that money can instead go towards bailing out the banks so they can have huge bonuses? If this country ends up like it was in the 80s, then it's going to take years to rebuild again. I've never voted Tory and I never will.
    June 10th, 2010 at 08:24pm
  • A petty, political article fueled by alcohol and the five-hundred-thousand people that are losing out on free school meals that they desperately need. Thank you for adding to my point, Skiba - up here, you don't really understand that not all of the South will be fine.

    This country has been in debt for years, because we had to borrow money to help fight in the Second World War. We've never really paid it back, and now the banks have messed up by lending other countries the money of the public, and making stupid decisions about it.

    And there are high earning people in this country. Heard of bankers? Do you know what happened when they got laid off because of their screw ups? The 'Golden-Handshake'. A courtesy card of hundreds of thousands of pounds. PM's are the same, CEO's - no high-income-earners you say?

    And I try to pull my weight, m'kay, 'lovie'. But what are you supposed to do when there are no jobs going for a college student from a very low income family nowadays. I have to claim EMA because I wouldn't get to college every day because I can't afford it - I'd rather not be another Briton sat on the dole, m'kay?

    I know this is taking its toll on the whole country, but there will be people benefitting from this new Government. Yeah, sure, I'm glad we have a bit of 'Left' in the bank, but people are still going to suffer - especially the working-class.

    So, sorry for putting it a little harsh and blunt, but I have some fact to back up my opinion.
    June 10th, 2010 at 07:22pm
  • And why is this country in debt?
    And no-everyone is going to feel the squeeze. Personally, I welcome the coalition with open arms. No-one's going to get off lightly, not even these nonexistent 'high income earners', so just pull your weight a bit, m'kay lovie?
    June 10th, 2010 at 03:49pm
  • Although I agree with Cereal Killer- this isn't an article, more of an opinion piece- you do have a fair point and people need to know about this.

    Under this new government, this country is going to wither and die. And not just the North, although figures published do prove that the North East has the lowest quality of life. I'm from Surrey, the Lib Dem part of South London to be precise, and we're going to have to pay for the deficit too. The only people that will benefit from a Tory government (even though there is some Lib Dem input, but hardly any thanks to Cameron) are the rich, high income earners. Trust me, plenty of people down here will have to pay for this too, especially workers. For example, my mother has worked for the Home Office for 25 years and with these funding cuts, her job may be moved to Sheffield, meaning that she will either have to move and start a new life or lose her job. In Croydon, where the Home Office is based, 20,000 people are going to have to squeeze into 6 buildings, half of the amount of buildings now. They even have to bring in their own pens, which is a stupid way of saving money. Same with my Aunt. She's worked for the London ambulance service for 20 years and her job is being threatened too. Sure, frontline NHS workers are safe, but the admin and people behind the scenes are the ones in the firing line. And the thing is, we need those workers for things to run properly.
    I am a university student and I work in retail to pay for my studies. I could soon face pay cuts because of these tax increases, which means I will have to struggle even more than I already do. The reason why the South earn higher wages is because that housing, council tax, etc is extortionate. It's not fair. It's not fair for you guys and it's not fair for us either.
    I guess what I'm trying to say is that all of the working class all over the country are going to suffer. Every country has debt and ours is nothing compared to other places, so why do every day, normal people have to pay? It's sickening. The rich are going to get richer and the poor are going to get poorer.
    June 10th, 2010 at 12:38pm
  • Not trying to be mean, but this isn't an article. It's just you complaining.
    June 10th, 2010 at 06:45am