Rembering My Lai

Rembering My Lai The date was March 16, 1968 towards the eastern cost of South Vietnam, in the village of My Lai [Me-Lie]. Early in the morning, not long after the Vietnamese holiday of Tet, American troops swarmed into the village and brutally attacked Vietnamese civilians. The My Lai massacre is one of the most savage and inhuman annihilation forgotten in American history.

The Vietnam war began in the 1940s to stop the spread of Communism. American leaders were fearful of the domino effect that would result of one country becoming Communist. After North Vietnamese Communists took control of South Vietnam, America’s morals required them to react. The United States went to war to bring down the North Vietnamese Viet Cong and their supporters. Thus, leading to brutal battles in both North and South Vietnam.

My Lai was part of the Song My village located in South Vietnam’s Quang Ngai Province. The American soldiers knew many of the villagers had been sympathetic to the Viet Cong, who often dressed in to blend with the peasants of Vietnam, and were unable to distinguish the difference between a civilian and a member of the Viet Cong.

At the orders of Lieutenant William L. Calley, 120 American soldiers from Charlie Company entered My Lai on a mission to “search and destroy” any and all enemies. Unfortunately, this included 347 civilians, according to the US government. Many were sexually assaulted, tortured or mutilated. The Vietnam government, however, asserted 507 villagers had been massacred.

The killing lasted a mere thee hours, from 8 until 11. And by noon My Lai was no more. Buildings had been burned to the ground and the people were dead or dying.
The My Lai Massacre was a horrifying endeavor that eventually leaded to a government cover up. Military officials told the American public 128 Viet Congs had been killed and only 22 civilians. The military was applauded for their bravery and issued many compliments regarding the “Battle at My Lai.”

In late 1970 justice finally came through when a few of the army came forward and began to leak information on the true happenings at My Lai. Many soldiers were convicted for war crimes. Calley was charged with premeditated murder and sentenced to life in prison.

The Massacre was a sickening crime. Eventually, justice was enforced for both the Vietnamese and guilty army men. Students and adults alike have forgotten this atrocity. This crime will go forever in military history and exemplify the horrors of what happens when men forget to see their enemy as human beings.

Sources:

Answers.com: Why di the US become involved in Vietnam?
My Lai Massacre
Yahoo! Education: My Lai Incident
Wikipedia: My Lai Massacre
Asian History: My Lai Facts
An Introduction to the My Lai Courts-Martial

Latest articles