The Role of Animals in Ancient Egyptian Society

The Role of Animals in Ancient Egyptian Society There is a shroud of mystery surrounding ancient Egypt, a mist that blends fact with fiction. It is hard to tell what is truthful when it comes to ancient Egyptian society, but there is one misconception that the mist is able to be lifted from, and that is the assumption that Egyptians honoured their animals purely because they were fond of them. However, this is not the case, and there are many reasons why animals were worshipped by the Ancient Egyptian society, including religious reasons, political reasons and to benefit their daily lives.

Religion can be counted as one of the most important aspects of an Egyptians life. As such, animals were incredibly important in the religious aspect of ancient Egyptian society. As modern historian John H. Taylor stated, ‘There were few aspects of society and culture in ancient Egypt which remained uninfluenced by animals, but it was in the sphere of religious beliefs and cult practises that they left their deepest imprint.’ His view is supported by archaeological evidence, such as the Apis bull and the gods and goddesses themselves. The Apis bull was considered to be the ba (or soul) of the god Ptah, who was the god of craftsmen, creation and pottery. Distinguishable by many physical aspects, including a blaze on its’ forehead, a scarab-shaped mark on its’ tongue and other small marks upon its’ rump. After being identified, a priest would take it to a temple, where it would be treated with the utmost respect until it died. After death, it would receive mummification of the highest standard, the same quality that royalty would receive. Egyptians believed that the Apis bull would be reborn, so the search would begin again.
The gods and goddesses of ancient Egypt were the pivotal aspect to ancient Egyptian religion. Interestingly enough, nearly all of the gods and goddesses were portrayed as animals. Just as the Apis bull was the ba of Ptah, so could many other animals contain the ba of the god or goddess that they represented. As a result, priests would keep and care for thousands of animals that represented gods, and, similarly to the Apis bull, they would be buried in mass graves after death. Two million mummified ibis and hawk were found in burial places at Saqqara alone . But why was it so important to tend for these animals, to the point that they would often be fed more than some Egyptian people themselves? As the religion was based upon animal-headed gods, to worship and adorn the animals that they had access to would be to worship the god or goddess themselves. On top of that, animals would often be sacrificed, to again worship the gods or goddess. In return, the god would be appeased, and bless the person or people with prosperity, in the form of money, good crops or happiness.

As well as an important role in religion, one of the lesser known importance that animals’ held in ancient Egyptian society was political importance. This can be shown through the animals symbolising power, or their worth and importance in the daily of nobles and royalty. Many animals were uncommon in a peasant’s life, as they were too expensive for the peasant’s to afford. For example, horses were animals that showed significant wealth over the lower classes. In her book, Miriam G. Estensen quotes, ‘Ancient Egyptians acquired the use of the horse and chariot during the Hyksos period. These were possessions of pride, prestige and wealth, used by kings and nobles...’ Horses, in conjunction with chariots, were used by kings and nobles in war, at ceremonial functions, whilst hunting, and on inspection of their estates.

In art, birds were employed by artists to symbolise the power of pharaohs. As stated, ‘Scenes of kings trapping wild birds and presenting them to gods represented their victory over evil.’ Similarly, hunting scenes would be used to show the power of the hunter, as they were strong enough to overcome even the mightiest beasts. This demonstrates that animals were used as a symbol of wealth and status, reinforcing the cultural hierarchy of the Egyptian society. This was not a democratic, meritocratic society where all were equal and the animal gods continually reminded their subjects of their station in life.
Lions were often representative of royalty, as can be shown by both the sphinx and objects that belonged to pharaohs themselves. The sphinx is a massive sculpture, with the body of a lion, but the head of a pharaoh, most likely Khafre, who ordered it built. As lions were both regarded as the protectors of sacred places , and as sacred to gods, it is obvious that Khafre was portraying himself as both divine and as equal with the gods. Similarly, ritual tables that are carved in the shape of lions were found in a tomb at Saqqara, suggesting that the organs prepared for burial on that table were both royal and divine. By employing the fear and wonder that animals held over people, kings and nobles were asserting themselves as politically and divinely stronger than the classes below them, securing their own wealth and prosperity throughout their life.

Animals, however divine they were seen to be, were also vitally important in the daily lives of ancient Egyptians. Animals alone provided Egyptians with clothes, food, transport, help with agriculture and many other necessities for a successful life in ancient Egyptian society.
Working songs give insight to how cattle were important to farming life, as can be seen in the following song:

‘A good day – it is cool
The cattle are pulling
And the day does according to our desire -
Let us work for the noble!’

Often, animals would be kept as companion animals, especially cats, dogs, occasionally monkeys and gazelle. These would not only serve as a companionship animal, but also as a result of their presence, people would see their wealth, and through the animals they would be subliminally reminded of the person’s status and importance.
In conclusion, animals were not just kept to be purely a companion, but rather a way of connecting to their gods and goddesses through the representation of the animal, a way of asserting yourself over others through subliminal messages and evidence of wealth, and as a way of ensuring income and a healthier afterlife.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John H. Taylor, Death and the Afterlife in Ancient Egypt, (The University of Chicago Press, Chicago, 2001) pg. 244
Geraldine Harris and Delia Pemberton, Illustrated Encyclopaedia of Ancient Egypt, (The British Museum Press, London, 1999) pg. 131
Miriam G. Estensen, Understanding Ancient Worlds, (Science Press, Marrickville Australia, 1995) pg. 115
Geraldine Harris and Delia Pemberton, Illustrated Encyclopaedia of Ancient Egypt, (The British Museum Press, London, 1999) pg. 131
Miriam G. Estensen, Understanding Ancient Worlds, (Science Press, Marrickville Australia, 1995) pg. 115
Ibid.

Latest articles