History They Never Taught You

History They Never Taught You American history is not entirely true. Along the way, myths have been slipped into most history taught today, changing our view on many important issues. Children grow up and are taught myths for various reasons. Perhaps myths are taught in order to simplify history and make it more understandable. Maybe myths are slipped in to create positive role models, or instill democratic values. It is undeniable that America’s early social, political and economical history is tainted by myths.

America’s social history is tainted by myth causing misunderstanding about America’s relation with people such as the Native Americans and slaves. Presidents and other important figures in history were not as saintly as they are portrayed. Unknown to most, Presidents Washington, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe, Jackson, Harrison, Tyler, Polk and Pierce were all slave owners (Ambrose 11). Another social myth in early American history is the notion that Americans and Indians lived harmoniously without coercion. Most Native Americans actually sided with the British and mainly attacked “…white frontier settlements” (Goldfield A-8). Because of myth, it is taught that the Indians helped the Pilgrims plant crops, and they all had a huge feast on Thanksgiving. Unlike the sugarcoated myth, tensions grew between the Indians and the Pilgrims and King Philip’s War began, killing three thousand Indians and leaving Plymouth with a debt of £15,000 (http://www.usahistory.info/NewEngland/King-Philips-War.html).

Political myths are especially prominent in American history, hiding the true selfish nature of the government. A political myth widely taught in American history, is the notion that all men are created equal. What the authors of the Declaration of Independence really meant, was that all rich, white men are created equal. In 1781, the Continental Congress decided there would be half pay for life for officers of the Revolution, but nothing for enlisted men (Zinn, Zinn 634). Just five years after the Declaration of Independence was signed, and already it’s words were powerless. Another political myth in early American history is that the Bill of Rights protects the most important rights of citizens. The Bill of Rights was ratified in 1791, and seven years later, “…was flouted by the alien and sedation acts” (Rodgers 72). Many believe that American soldiers of the Revolution were committed to serving their country, ready to fight at a minutes notice. However, John Shy, “…estimates that perhaps a fifth of the population was actively treasonous” (Zinn, People’s 76). Freedom of religion is one of the many promised freedoms America promises. But in 1776, the northern states “…adopted taxes that forced everyone to support Christian teachings” (Zinn, People’s 82-83).

There are also many economic myths in American history, concealing the dissatisfaction of the American people with money as well as the government’s greed. An economical myth in American history is that the cause of the Boston Tea Party was because the civilians were angry about high taxes. Civilians were actually angered because of a tax break, not increase. What angered the civilians was the fact that, “…they had no role in the decision” (Raphael 62). American soldiers in the Revolution are depicted as ready and willing to fight for their country. But the true motive for Americans to fight in the Revolution was actually to, “…rise in rank, acquire some money, change their social status” (Zinn, People’s 76). It is believed that America was founded on the notion of all men created equal. However, America was founded by rich, white men “…who set up a government to protect their property” (Zinn, Zinn 634).

America’s early social, political and economical history is tainted by myths. Regarding America’s social history, it is believed to be true by many that Americans lived in harmony with Native Americans. The fact that Americans and Native Americans eventually killed one another in King Phillip’s War is completely glossed over or unmentioned. America’s politics are not thoroughly explained either. Myths conceal the government’s selfish actions, such as passing acts that directly violate the Bill of Rights. Economic myths are also present in early American history. Americans had many monetary difficulties due to the government’s greed. Rich, white men founded the government in order to protect their property, not the majority of the American people. As a result of these social, political and economical myths, the perspective on American history had been tainted due to numerous misunderstandings.

Works Cited
Ambrose, Stephen. To America. New York: Simon & Schuster, 2002.
Elson, Henry W. "King Philip's War." History of the USA. Interesting.com. Web. 11 Sept. 2010. <http://www.usahistory.info/NewEngland/King-Philips-War.html>.
Goldfield, David et al. America’s Journey. Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Pearson Prentice Hall, 2006.
Raphael, Ray. “Tea Party Myths.” American History June 2010.
Rodgers, Marion. The Impossible H.L. Mencken. New York: Double Day, 1991.
Zinn, Howard. A People’s History of the United States. New York: Harper Perennial, 1992.
Zinn, Howard. The Zinn Reader. New York: Seven Stories Press, 1997.

Latest articles