"Tyrone": Acceptable Racism in the Form of Jokes - Comments

  • FrankJScott

    FrankJScott (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    57
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    Please try <a href=https://www.google.com/>Google</a> before asking <a href=https://bbs.anlence.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=128&pid=995&page=1&extra=#pid995>Recommended Onlne Casino Tips</a> e1_3904
    September 29th, 2023 at 04:06am
  • not here anymore

    not here anymore (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    To be honest, my husbands black brother would probably laugh at this. In the area I live and a lot of other areas, a lot of black people act like that. At the same time, a lot don't. If someone takes from this one comic that ALL black people act like this, they're probably stupid and already racist.
    March 18th, 2012 at 07:06am
  • FuckNo

    FuckNo (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    United States
    Is there such thing as racism? Yes. Can you still joke about it? Absolutely. I say this because as a mixed person, I don't really care if people make jokes about me. Also, if we're going to talk about who also makes jokes like the 'tyrone' stuff, black people do too.

    In fact, one of Chris Rock's most popular sketches that I know about, is him mocking ghetto 'n*****'. He starts it out by even going, "Who's more racist, black people or white people?" He then pauses and goes, "Black people, because we hate black people too."
    November 26th, 2011 at 08:01pm
  • creatureofthedark

    creatureofthedark (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Honestly, I think people have become too sensitive. Look, slavery in the United States has been abolished. It's done. Over. The END. Blacks AND whites need to get over it...and quit taking everything so personal. The white people do not owe anything to the black people, and the black people don't owe anything to the white people. And name calling goes both ways, so both parties should just take it easy.
    August 11th, 2011 at 03:52pm
  • brightnessspark

    brightnessspark (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    The only people getting ridiculously pissed off and offended by silly racist jokes like this are privileged little white girls. All the rest of us are laughing our asses off.
    July 31st, 2011 at 11:04am
  • vaporwave

    vaporwave (160)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Canada
    I think if anyone is offended by a racist "joke" you tell and they let you know, you should probably shut your mouth pretty damn fast.
    July 3rd, 2011 at 12:31am
  • flyer.

    flyer. (850)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    Ah, but when we use stereotypes to make a joke, aren't we poking fun at the stereotype as well?
    Jokes are about intent. And while I do see your point, that not everybody finds it funny...sometimes, jokes like this are poking fun at the stereotype itself, not saying all black people are like that.
    However, this was a good article :) Like others, though, I have to admit, I've never seen this meme.
    June 30th, 2011 at 02:15am
  • sibyl vane.

    sibyl vane. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    I agree with what The Beatles said, wholeheartedly. It's only racist if people consider it to be. Would it be any less racist if Tyrone wasn't black? No. I mean, I'm black, and I consider this hilarious. Because I've seen in happen before. And that's what makes it funny. Not saying you're wrong, but to point out this meme as racist is just pointing out he's black. Black jokes shouldn't a touchy subject because I have faith in the human race (or at least, the majority of it) that it doesn't take them seriously anymore. They're jokes. That's all they ever should be. We already have Obama and Powell and Oprah and everyone else to provide an antithesis to this stereotype. Everyone knows that not all black people are like Tyrone, just like everyone knows that not all Americans are rich and egotistical, or not all Indians are I don't even fucking know or not all Jewish people are (you know the propaganda) or not all African people live in rural areas or not all Australians are racist. When someone begins to take it seriously, that's when I'll get concerned.

    I like this article. Aside from the fact that it has good quality, it's received several serious and varying responses. That's what articles are supposed to do. So, even if I disagree, I commend you.
    June 29th, 2011 at 09:43pm
  • MayaAngelou0524

    MayaAngelou0524 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    25
    Location:
    United States
    I think you thought this through really well. I think it depends on who you hang out with and follow. I'm not on twitter, tumblr, or Facebook but I can say that people do act this way. And as a young BLACK female, it's sickening. I have friends who listen to the music, watch the videos. I don't know. Jokes are jokes. Racism is racism. You just have to know the difference. Good article. Really good.
    June 29th, 2011 at 07:17am
  • unapologetic.

    unapologetic. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Thank you for writing this. It seems to me that a lot of Mibbians are totally chill with this kind of subtle racism. Sucks, but it's what I expected.

    I'm just glad I'm not the only one who noticed how wrong this joke was. It's the same thing with pasty spoiled suburbian brats dropping the N-word. Yeah, racial epithets totally prove how awesome and ~progressive you are. Fact is, if you're using slurs without due cause, you're an ass and you need to stop. No ifs, ands or buts about it. But if I start spouting off "honky" this and "cracker" that, all hell breaks loose.

    The hypocrisy is amazing.

    Anyway, thanks again for writing on it, glad to see this kind of bull doesn't go unnoticed and glad to see you're calling out people for their crap.
    June 28th, 2011 at 11:15pm
  • RedneckBarbie

    RedneckBarbie (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    63
    Location:
    United States
    Also, I agree with [b]Dexterous Monkey[/b].
    June 28th, 2011 at 11:04pm
  • RedneckBarbie

    RedneckBarbie (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    63
    Location:
    United States
    I've told "black" jokes before. I've told jokes about every type of person before, including myself, and I'm not racist or sexist or anything of that sort. Heck, my boyfriend is African American, and he makes ghetto jokes too.

    As long as everyone around you knows that you are joking, and as long as you stop if someone gets offended, I don't see the problem in poking fun at people. I think those who get easily offended should lighten up, and realize that the jokes aren't aimed at them personally.

    There are stereotypes. There always have been, and always will be. It's just the way life is; people will always form groups or look for ways to group people together, and people will always judge them because of it.

    As long as you can separate that stereotype from reality, why can't you poke fun at it?

    The stereotypes do hold some bit of truth. There will be black guys who wear baggy pants and call their friends the N word; there will be southerners who aren't too bright; there will be teenagers who wear black clothing and cause harm to themselves. But just because there are people like that, doesn't mean all (or even most) people are the same.

    I believe most people know this, and most people still know this as they make those racist jokes. It doesn't mean they're racist. They're just having fun. More people should be light-hearted; learn to have fun and not take things so seriously.

    If we worried about actually improving the unfairness in the world that those stereotypes have to live with every day, as much as we worried about hurting someone's feelings with a joke, the world would be a better place. Black men still can't find jobs in certain areas; women still get paid less than men at some jobs; good citizens of the United States are being treated like crap because they are foreigners; teenagers can no longer drive past ten or with more than one passenger in their car (in my state), because of those minorities of teens who are irresponsible.

    These are the racisms and prejudices that are accepted by today’s society, and I think they cause a lot more problems than a few black jokes.
    June 28th, 2011 at 11:00pm
  • dr. faustus

    dr. faustus (1070)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    France
    I agree with the last point very well with Audrey. Because I do witness a lot of these jokes about Tyrone on my blog due to the people I follow and reblog.

    However, I think it's very silly for people to say something like this isn't and shouldn't be a big deal, certainly she thought so since she wrote an article about it. Just like you she is stating her opinion. I find things like this funny on tumblr. And just because "black people" reblog or like a post doesn't mean they condone the message in anyway. To say this is done by mainly black people is kinda low and rude.

    I'm not saying it couldn't be, but with no proof I don't wan't to hear that. Back then white people use to do the same thing with black face and demean the black community and those pictures today are still hunting to look at. Representing races like this is wrong and "very" offensive to some people and just because you don't think so, doesn't mean someone else doesn't.

    Lovely article, dear.
    June 28th, 2011 at 08:47pm
  • Juicebox Child

    Juicebox Child (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    Ireland
    i only know 'tyrone' as a county in ireland :L
    June 28th, 2011 at 03:27pm
  • The Beatles

    The Beatles (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    Well written article by the way.
    June 28th, 2011 at 06:25am
  • The Beatles

    The Beatles (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I have black friend who find the "Fucking Tyrone" meme hilarious. I have gay friends that laugh at gay jokes and girls laugh at "make me a sandwich" jokes. Jokes and meme are meant to entertain and not to be taken seriously. It doesn't make you a racist at all.
    "The only way to get rid of racism is to stop talking about it." - Morgan Freeman
    June 28th, 2011 at 06:24am
  • username007

    username007 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    If you feel offended when hearing a racist joke then one of the two things might be wrong.
    1. You believe the stereotype in the joke to be true
    2. You know the person telling the joke is a true racist which makes you think they believe it to be true.

    P.S.
    A racist is a person who discriminates against a race
    Telling a racist joke does not make you raciest
    June 28th, 2011 at 02:50am
  • Dream_Eater

    Dream_Eater (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    It's nice to know I'm not the only one who feels this way. So thank you.
    To be truthful though, most teenagers do not realize how serious this truly is, no matter what you do. Also most people I've met, think 'Oh but I am this race, so it's okay if I do or say that towards myself" when it's really not,
    June 26th, 2011 at 10:48pm
  • Isadora Pierce

    Isadora Pierce (125)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    This definitely doesn't look like a problem to me. I think the problem at hand is taking things way too seriously and not realizing that half the time meme's like this are made by black people anyways. I'm mixed and I think this is freaking hilarious because it's something you see on comedy television and it's actually something that ANY kid could do, in real life. Holding up the class, I mean.

    I think you just looked way too into it and got offended because it's really not racist or meant to look that way at all. Like [b]border collie[/b] said, most people make "racist" jokes in an attempt to be funny, but not to HURT.
    June 26th, 2011 at 09:29pm
  • cinderella.

    cinderella. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    The only reason the stereotype is around is because there's people that genuinely act like that. Believe me, I know - I go to school with people like that. Besides, I have black friends that poke fun at their skin color and we just have fun with it. I don't approve of racism, but if you show that comic to 100 black people, I'm pretty sure many of them won't take offense to it and will probably laugh.

    The trick is to deal with it through comedy. Haven't you heard of George Lopez? He got famous and constantly makes fun of Latinos, but he also takes pride in who he is. How does that work? Comedy. Take it with a laugh and not a string of hatred and it should work out okay.
    June 26th, 2011 at 01:06pm