Leap Year Day

February 29th. It only comes every 4 years. But why? Well Julius Caesar was behind the origin of Leap Year in 45 BCE. Back then the Roman had a 355 day calendar. During that time they kept having to add a day every second year to keep the festivals falling in the same season. So Julius added 10 extra days to the calender, and his astronomer did the calculations for when leap year would fall. Now Julius didn't get the exact number correct. It has a little less then 365.25 (365.242374 to be precise).

In 1582 Pope Gregory XIII further refined the calendar with the rule that leap day would occur in any year divisible by 4.

It's also been said (going back to around the 4 century) that a women can propose marriage to a man on leap day. Of course if he refuses he must give the woman a silk dress and a kiss. One other thing is the woman must be wearing a red petticoat when she pops the question.

Now what does being born on a Leap Day mean to Leapers? Well for me, I find it interesting. It fits into my personality. However ,it also means I don't even have my birthday on a calender 3 years out of 4.

Many things in this world don't recognize February 29th as a day, which is not right and really needs to be fixed. It's a wonderful day, and gives a whole new way of thinking young at heart.

So try not ignore Leap Day. It only comes once every 4 years.

Latest articles