On The Way Out Of The Cave?

On The Way Out Of The Cave? Written in his work the Republic, Plato puts forward (perhaps as a possible explanation to his mentor, Socrates's death) an explanation to the life of a philosopher and the duties therein.

In the allegory there are prisoners shown, whom have been chained facing the cave wall, there is a light source towards the mouth of the cave where a form of puppet show is shown to them. As they have lived their entire existence like this they assume that this must be true reality; much in the way that people see what is in front of them, the empirical world, pursuits in money and power, physical love and lust; and don't seek higher forms and ideas.

From this situation one prisoner breaks free, and through curiosity starts to attempt an escape from the cave. This is often seen as the start of a philosopher's journey, questioning what they have been told and what has been assumed as the truth. The journey is hard, the footing is not stable, suddenly facing the light source has dazzled him or her. Further on he sees the fire casting the shadows and the puppets; he could assume this to be the truth, as he has worked hard to find it out; but it isn't. He or she must go on to learn the real truth, the journey is constantly harder, seeing light from other sources outside the cave is dazzling them more, their footing is tricky; but eventually they'll make it out. When outside, the philosopher will have to look to different light sources and reflections before they're eyes are strong enough to see into the sun... and there see the truth.

I'd suggest that a fair majority of us are camped out round the fire, we question to a point, and then assume we're okay not to question anymore, falling into a realm of money. And perhaps this is wise; because if anyone who knows the real truth tells others what it is, they won't accept it, the philosopher's eyes won't be accustomed to the dark, he will talk of things outside of their little comfort zone, and they'll kill him. We're all just as guilty of this judgment through our very definition of madness. As Orwell stated: "Madness is a minority of one" the majority will always crush those who are different and shun them, as is evident in such works as 1984; and it is true, this is why we'll never learn the truth as a majority, because we shun all who are different.

You all probably already know this, as the artist is a different type of person themselves; and whether you like it or not, a philosophical and political agent. Hence this new generation of thinkers and writers should aim not to line our pockets, but to seek the truth.

Latest articles