King Edward VI and the English Reformation

England celebrated on October 12th 1537, a special day and special for the sake that the nation’s most notorious king, King Henry VIII had just become father to a long sought for son, people had died (namely Anne Boleyn) and sacrifices made (by the child’s mother and father when 19 days after the birth of the most royal Edward Tudor, his mother died from puerperal fever) for this child, yet the nation called with joy all around, cried for the long life, the healthy and the success of the prince, little did they know that sixteen years later, the males of the Tudor Dynasty would be gone and England would have been spiralled through a change from which it would never fully recover.

When Edward was just nine years old, he and his elder half-sister Elizabeth (Later Elizabeth I) were given the news of their fathers demise, to which all historical accounts would suggest that the royal pair did take each other into a hug and wept for their loss. It was to be the responsibility of little Edward, as it always had been, to take on the role his father had and to rule an entire nation as greatly as the legend before him. I sometimes try to think of how this child must have felt, not minutes after the devastating news of his father’s death did he know he was to be rushed off to the Tower of London and prepared for his coronation and his becoming King of England, where the eyes of not only his subjects but the whole world would be upon him. We can now only imagine how terrifying it must have been. Yet we then should think of Edwards raising, he was brought up not to be just any king, but to follow his father and his grandfather (if we go there his great grandfather Edward IV also) I do not doubt the task that sat before him must have seemed intimidating, if not petrifying, withy the world watching a small child and scrutinising his mistakes… There are historical accounts from Edwards Coronation in 1447 which would suggest that the youngster seemed small, frail and timid at the event, yet he achieved all that was expected and was accepted as the countries king (not that many would have dared to deny him.)

Edward, a strict and dedicated reformist protestant (unlike his mother, a strict catholic), Edwards first mission – which turned out to be his only mission – was to start by reforming the church of England, by means of bringing in English written prayer books (and an English Bible) and banning the Catholic Mass throughout the kingdom. Causing much displeasure to many of his subjects, this including causing displeasure to the Lady Mary Tudor, first daughter of King Henry and Edwards eldest sister who was a catholic people saw no hope of reforming. She claimed her brother offended her with such a change, the case was only furthered when she wrote to Edward some years later asking to be permitted to practise mass in private, such a request was refused when Edward claimed it would only encourage rebellion. As it seemed, the rebellion happened anyway and on mass scale. Many parts of England up rose against Edward and his council. The revolution was squashed with little peace (Exeter seeing some of the worst of the young kings temper when he ordered the burning of the city) and not before the Lady Mary had tried to escape to Spain (where she had much support due to her roots there – her mother, Katherine of Aragon, was Spanish.) Had she not been caught, and her escape succeeded England would probably have seen a different story as Spain would have invaded England and no records can be found as to whether the young king and his council would have been able to take such a forceful invasion. Eventually, Edward’s reform was almost complete, the churches were bare and the books were in English but the faith was growing in strength and numbers. Edward had also succeeded in many other things (as well as having, indirectly in both cases, had his uncles killed for one reason or another) he had insisted on neither of his sisters having to marry – this suited the Lady Elizabeth greatly. Edward had also established an army, improved his father’s navy and its technologies (guns had been used for the first time during this period) as well as establishing the first ever Grammar schools for boys in England (Edward was not a big believer in the necessity to educate girls, though allowed girls of high status to be educated in ‘feminine’ things; French, Latin, Art, Music, Sewing and allowed them to be able to read the bible – calling for reading and writing to be improved in the female population.) It was time for Edward to set out and see the England he had created.

By the time Edward took on such a venture he had been on the thrown for five years, aged fourteen and almost at an age of his ‘majority’ (a term used by Henry VIII when naming Edward as his successor. He claimed Edward should rule over council but under advice of a protector – first the boy’s uncle Edward Seymour, followed by John Dudley after Seymour’s death.) Why Henry named a protector for his son when he had recall of what happened to his own uncles (the sons of Edward IV – Edward V and Richard Plantagenet, under the role of Richard III I cannot answer, but such a law was made. By this time in 1552 Edward VI was fast reaching his majority and all looked positive, he was a young man of a healthy nature with high status and good standing and among court was the talk of a matrimonial match for Edward. The idea of marriage to Mary Stuart (Queen of Scotts) had been left behind, first she had broken the betrothal, second she was catholic and so unsuitable as a match for a protestant King. It is suggested that Edwards second cousin, the Lady Jane Grey may have been suggested, yet she married Dudley’s son before the king died and so how serious a suggestion it was is unknown.

Edward’s travel over England seemed successful, he liked what he saw and was recognised by his subjects, his records record that he hunted and feasted and did all the things a Tudor king was expected to without complaint. When returning to his court in London, Edward seemed well and happy and prepared for (and enjoyed) that year’s Christmas celebrations and even managed to achieve a healthier relationship with his distant sister Lady Mary. It was with the turn into 1553 that things elapsed. The Lady Mary was reported to have visited her brother in January of that year and was told he could not entertain an audience with her for he was ill with a cold, and so in his bed. She was able to visit his chambers, report suggested they engaged in ‘small talk’ and Mary was reportedly worried for her brother’s health. New spread quickly of Edwards’s ill health, but by March the young king had made an almost full recovery, he was in the court and making laws and as the weather improved so did he, causing much relief to his physicians whom had been fearing the worst. The good spell lasted just weeks before Edward fell ill again, this time fatally and by June, Edward was thin, swollen, cut and weak, by July he was dead. Edward’s last words were a muttered prayer by the side of his then best friend and gentleman of his chamber.

It was then the world found out of the interesting plot Edward had left in his will. When Henry VIII died, his last will had claimed Edward as his successor, following Edward, if he were to have no issue; it would be Mary followed by Elizabeth. (Both girls he had declared illegitimate in the past.) This illegitimacy was Edward’s argument for his will, that Mary was illegitimate and as she wished to marry into Spain, she was an unfit ruler (also because she was catholic) and as he could not bypass and crown Elizabeth – who would not have accepted anyway, he named his cousin and previously suggested betrothal, Lady Jane Gray queen. The Lady Jane was queen for nine days before Mary Tudor took the thrown by force and was refused to be crowned on the same throne as Edward had been just six years before.

Edward VI was laid to rest in Westminster Abbey in late 1553, no one is sure what he died of (reports range from poison to cancer) what is most likely is that Edward died from tuberculosis. With him died the idea of an English police state, and died the rule of mercy. Never do I recall has there been a King who ranged so differently from the ruler who ruled before him, in the reign of Henry VIII England saw violence, needless war, death and torture. Edward brought mercy, brought peace and brought a reformation which involved little merciless persecution due only to religion (unlike his sisters who followed him.) Following him was the twists, turns and over throwing of the monarchy which changed England to what it is today.

Latest articles