The Kerrigan-Harding Scandal

The 1994 Olympics would go down in history, but not for the amazing stunts of its competitors. Instead, it is remembered for having one of the biggest scandals in Olympic history.

Nancy Kerrigan and Tanya Harding were both wonderful competitors, and it was believed that both of them had a shot at the gold medal. After amazing performances in the 1992 Winter Olympics by Kerrigan and subpar performances by Harding, it was clear that Kerrigan was going to be the front runner for American gold.

On January 6, 1994, Nancy Kerrigan was attacked. She was in the knee with a baton by a friend of Harding's ex and was badly injured. The doctors said there was a chance she'd never skate again and certainly not before the 1994 Olympics, but Kerrigan was determined.

She trained as hard as she could for as long as she could, and eventually made her way to the Olympics, earning herself the silver medal. Harding, however, was not invited to the Olympics to compete alongside Kerrigan.

Harding later pled guilty to charges that she conspired to hinder prosecution against the offenders, though she still will not admit having anything to do with the Kerrigan attack.

Latest articles