Pripyat: Chernobyl's Abandoned City - Comments

  • kariajaderose

    kariajaderose (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    Loved the Article <3
    July 21st, 2014 at 05:42am
  • Anchor and Hope.

    Anchor and Hope. (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United States
    This was a fantastic article!

    In my crisis management class I actually did an entire project devoted to Chernobyl. It is fascinating- the imagery is so powerful. It still amazes me that a.) people thought they would be able to return to their homes after all of this happened and b.) they use parts of the city as a tourist attraction.

    The fact that Reactor 5 still remains is also completely terrifying- Chernobyl could literally strike again (though the way in which it would happen would be drastically different). To think that such danger kind of looms in the background after so many years just astonishes me.

    Bravo!
    July 15th, 2014 at 09:59pm
  • Ne0nAbyss

    Ne0nAbyss (465)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    26
    Location:
    United States
    Great job on the article!

    Chernobyl was always something that although was terrifying when you think of how many that died, was also really interesting and fascinating. It's crazy, like another comment said, to think that after so long we are still seeing and experiencing effects now. It's also crazy that we've, as the whole world, have waited so long to do anything about the incident.

    I wouldn't mind traveling to take the tour of this city because it really does have so much history it could teach us and we could learn so much from this. That, and I just want to see how everyone's lives were put on hold when this happened to them.
    July 12th, 2014 at 08:30pm
  • Shatterheart

    Shatterheart (140)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    This is a well-written article!! Great job!!

    As for the Chernobyl disaster, it really is scary. The pictures of the city really is something I would think resembles something from a post-apocalyptic setting. And I've seen a document on the wildlife (wolves in particular) that live in the area and how they are affected by the remnant radioactive exposures. To think how we're still seeing the effects of the disaster nearly 30 years later...
    It's also unnerving to think that there was another incident similar in severity in Japan--- the Fukushima Accident as a result of that huge earthquake in 2011. Both Chernobyl and Fukushima disasters are so similar, and to see the aftermath of it as it happened on the media really hit hard for me. I think the engineers should be more cautious with the designs of the structure and be prepared for the worst to avoid affecting the civilian in the surrounding area. Hopefully these two incidents would serve as "lessons" I guess, for the future commissioning of other reactor facilities...

    Anyways, awesome article!! I really enjoyed it!
    July 12th, 2014 at 12:11am
  • nearly witches.

    nearly witches. (15250)

    :
    Admin
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    I'm so glad I found someone else that's interested in this sort of stuff!

    Honestly, I've been pretty obsessed with the entire Chernobyl disaster since I first learned of it in first-year physics back when I was 12 or 13. It's about the only time I've sat up and listened in physics and one of the first things I ever researched on my own. I just find the notion of the government causing such a major disaster in terms of health and safety absolutely crazy and the way that they evacuated and turned the whole city into a ghost town is just so intriguing.

    I think that I find the fact that the whole place has pretty much been reclaimed by mother nature the most interesting though. I've seen some breathtaking photography from there and as morbid as it sounds, I'd love to go myself and see it. There have just been so many media forms picturing the disaster and exaggerating it over the years that it's a definite thing I've added to my bucket list.

    This was a really informative article, awesome job!
    July 11th, 2014 at 09:32pm