History Articles

  • On The Way Out Of The Cave?

    On The Way Out Of The Cave?

    It seems that philosophy hasn't been at all taken into account in the 20th and 21st century. All philosophy that seems to have happened in recent centuries has been more ethics based; or been related more to other spheres of thought, such as political philosophy or philosophy of science. I plan to explore how far along Plato's allegory of the cave we really are.

    January 30th, 2008 at 12:46am

  • The Redundance of Religion

    The Redundance of Religion

    In spite of how daringly unpredictable we all feel we are, human behavior is psychologically cyclical. I’m sure some of you have repetitive morning routines; you know exactly when you brush your teeth, when you eat, when you throw on clothes and in what precise order! From there, school and work are practically the definitions of repetition. However, routines can be halted and concluded. The question becomes, will we? When our tendencies become destructive and useless, will we stop them? Or, will we continue repeating the same old deleterious cycle endlessly?

    November 24th, 2007 at 01:58am

  • Reconstruction

    Reconstruction

    Reconstruction was the attempt to resolve the issues of the American Civil War, to defeat the Confederacy and end all of slavery in the U.S states. This time period extended from1863 to 1877, the time of Abraham Lincoln & Andrew Johnson, our 16th and 17th presidents. Their goal was to simply reunite the country.

    November 2nd, 2007 at 08:12am

  • Genocide

    Genocide

    You're all familiar with terms such as 'Holocaust', 'Adolf Hitler', 'Ha-Shoah (term generally used to describe the killing of approximately six million European Jews during World War II)', 'Nazi regime' and many other words that just make you shiver when you hear talk of them, right? Well, how much would you shiver to find out that the past is yet to repeat itself?

    October 27th, 2007 at 01:06am

  • Manifest Destiny: God Given Right? Or Greed?

    Manifest Destiny: God Given Right? Or Greed?

    Manifest destiny, a great glorious “movement” in American History... or was is a huge injustice that people used religious beliefs to excuse? The latter is a better definition for it. Manifest destiny was what people thought was a way to “expand” their country, or to, push the boundaries of their country and conquer the continent. The idea that was brought on by John L. O’ Sullivan, explained that it was ‘the divine and God given right of the American peoples’ to have this land. Some people could have simply seen it as an opportunity to raise their families in a better place, but in my personal opinion, it was just greed, the want for more land.

    September 4th, 2007 at 05:51am

  • The Atomic Bombing of Japan

    The Atomic Bombing of Japan

    The Western Front was won and ended on May 7, 1945. It was titled "VE Day" or Victory Europe. Although that war ended, the one raging in the Pacific theatre was still far from over. Island hopping by the military decreased the Japanese stranglehold on the Pacific Islands, Iwo Jima being a milestone in the war with the reclaiming and raising of the American flag on Mount Surabachi.

    September 27th, 2007 at 12:49am