The Truth About War

I sincerely believe Shakespeare made it a point to state, in the excerpt found in Henry V, Act 3, Scene 1:

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more, or close the wall up with our English dead! In peace there’s nothing so becomes a man. As modest stillness and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger: Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, and disguise fair nature with hard-favored rage."

This particular excerpt from the saga of the Lancastrian Rebellion, the Hundred Years' War, and the Wars of the Roses, cover’s principal events in English political history from 1398 to 1485. Which events comprise the historical background for the political realities of Shakespeare's time, in which Shakespeare indulges in his political admiration for Henry V. and the short period in which he conquered. This, understandably, makes this excerpt all the more facile to relate to with our modern day contentions.

The excerpt states simply what we should already have known. During any major conflict that involves combat we’re forced to be subjected to violence, and if you were to deny the throes of impending battle it would, undoubtedly, be your downfall. It explains the natural behavior thrust upon us during times of crisis, describing in detail how the enervating situation changes how we would commonly address the topic. It expresses the changes in behavior by portraying how we would alter from a moderately civil being into an individual up to his neck in chagrin and animosity. Ironically, it also mentions hastily how in during times of peace and accord we act as though stricken with a sudden bolt of humbleness and resignation toward our offending opponent.

To say whether or not I agree with Shakespeare’s opinion on war is an undoubted no brainer. In our fight to keep the peace with other countries, we as Americans are subjecting ourselves and our fellow soldiers to the hardships that is debt and uncountable deaths , of which we could have lessened considerably if we had just accepted the fact that we were at war. But, by agreeing with the excerpt however does not inaudibly mean that I wholeheartedly agree with the wars we have been fighting for over the last 238 years. Do I believe that war is the only solutions to the peace were so desperately in need of between countries? No of course not. To think of war as the ultimate solution for battling disputes would be an early death bed to many American and foreign countries alike.

Personally I believe that many of wars we have fought could have easily been disputed over, between the leaders of our government, as easily as a controversy over a cup of coffee. I honestly cannot accept that war is an absolutely necessary piece of the puzzle for our country. But the point is not, whether or not we should leave war as the last resort to any conflict. The point being is, whether or not, when faced with the confrontation of impending battle, will we stand guard and fight for our country, our nation, or will we allow them to overthrow our protective barrier and die without a second of thought because we were too engrossed in our civil, humble behavior?

To say the least, I can genuinely say that this particular excerpt defines our existing problems as a nation. In my point of view, it seems to not only pinpoint the obvious problems we are subjected to in war but also the everyday problems we must face as a country in general and our internal struggle to overcome it without a comprehensive mind.

Latest articles