The Mary Sue

The term Mary Sue originated from a Star Trek fan fiction written by Paula Smith. Her character, Mary Sue, was perfect in every way and ran the Star Trek ship, despite being only 15. Paula Smith’s fan fiction phenomenon stemmed the term that haunts many writers today.

The Mary Sue character is a stereotypical character that has troubled writers for generations. Calling a character a Mary Sue is one of the biggest insults on Mibba, but what is it about this character that has both readers and writers running for the hills?

A Mary Sue is a character that would easily be deemed perfect in the real world. Mary Sues are typically very good looking, have no major flaws, and are good at everything they do. Many people say that Mary Sues are wish fulfillment characters that embody everything that the writer wishes they could be. Others say that Mary Sues are created from a lack of thought and detail put into creating and writing the character.

Mary Sues are considered annoying by many and boring by most. Many people find them difficult to read because they are unrealistic. They can take an excellent story with a good plot, and turn it into a total flop.

Writing a story takes a lot of time and hard work and It is important for writers to put extra thought into creating their characters. By taking time to create a good, believable character, writers can make their story more believable and keep from falling into this bad stereotype.

Latest articles