The Future of Journalism

Now days there isn’t much you can’t do online, and that includes read the news. So when people talk about the future of Journalism, it doesn’t seem too bright. Many newspaper companies have gone out of business on such grounds. Even with the advancements in technology, there comes a desire for knowledge, so newspapers should be doing better than ever, even if that means starting an online newspaper, which many including the New York Times have done. However journalism isn’t just the printed newspapers and magazines, it is in television and radio, which will be around for many more years, especially as the technology advances.

Putting the news online is a great start to mastering the digital media; however, there are downsides. For one, the internet isn’t always accessible to people. Also the information will not always be there, as it would be for a newspaper that you can keep. You cannot always trust what you read on the internet, not everything is reliable and credible. With the negative aspects come the positive ones. For instance, the second something happens, there is news of it online, so you can always find the latest news without having to wait for the newspaper to be published. Newspapers are updated a maximum of around four times a day, whereas the online news can be updated several times in a twenty-four hour spectrum. And if you have internet access you do not have to wait for the local paper boy to hand you the paper to find out what huge incident occurred anywhere in the country. The positive and negative aspects greatly outnumber these listed, however that doesn’t mean there isn’t room to improve.

With time, the technology improves, so how about the digital media? In a few years, we could almost get rid of all the negatives, with some hard work and a few great minds. However the improvements won’t stop there, because there will always be some way in which the world can improve, and that includes journalism, printed or digital.

Latest articles