Gay Fiction vs. M/M Romance - Comments

  • marryjoy6374

    marryjoy6374 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    Challenge Your Crew and Boost the Fun
    Why enjoy the beats alone when you can turn it into a party? Heardle is all about bringing friends and family together heardle for a musical showdown. Challenge your crew to guess the artist and title, and let the competition heat up. It's not just a game; it's a bonding experience that adds a whole new rhythm to your gatherings.
    January 15th, 2024 at 10:17am
  • sheryllsilva

    sheryllsilva (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    Thank you for providing us with this information. They could help my bloxd io find a solution to my persistent issues.
    October 18th, 2023 at 12:21pm
  • yetmature

    yetmature (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    Your work is really appreciated since it introduced me to two fantastic tales and a fresh point of phrazle view.
    June 15th, 2023 at 05:02am
  • Sophiain

    Sophiain (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    23
    Location:
    United States
    I've come to tell you a little bit about granny. This is an interesting online game that a lot of people think this is the funniest and scariest game ever made. Try this out, shall we?
    January 31st, 2023 at 09:59am
  • prasedenica

    prasedenica (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I appreciate your writing because it provided me with two wonderful stories and a completely new perspective.
    duck life
    December 8th, 2022 at 09:00am
  • lonely girl.

    lonely girl. (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    25
    Location:
    Australia
    This is a super interesting and informative article! You clearly and concisely explain the differences between the two, and also the factors which influence them, such as their intended audiences and purposes. However, with your explanation of gay fiction and saying that it is for an LGBT audience, your scope is very narrow. These books are typically published either in small niches of mainstream companies or from small LGBT presses, many of which are now online. While it is true that LGBT books published by small LGBT presses are intended for LGBT audiences, the intended and actual audience of LGBT fiction which is produced by mainstream companies and placed into popular media is different: it is for straight, heteronormative audiences, and their general goal is for straight people to feel sympathy for LGBT people as most of the fiction produced deals with the negative sides of LGBT culture -- coming out (and its accompanying shame), homophobia, transphobia, and so on. This then changes their purposes, and I don't feel like it can be quite as neatly summed up as reflecting the lives of LGBT people, as they show very extreme (usually negative) sides of LGBT life.
    April 11th, 2019 at 04:02pm
  • warmaiden

    warmaiden (6085)

    :
    NaNoWriMo 2015
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    like the real mitt romney, i didn't know that m/m romance were two different things. which makes sense now being that im one of those people that were typically outraged @ some of the works i'd have read. partly bc it wasn't realistic to say the least & since i am part of the lgbt community, half the time i'd have a negative reaction (of course since stereotypes). but i can go on & on about my own preferences as a lot of people could.

    it makes a lot of sense now that m/m romance is a different genre in itself. i do like how you state that romance is fantasy or not meant to be realistic in terms of a storyline or plot. i think a lot of people know that, but in the younger years of one's life, there's that "oh my gosh, i can't wait to fall in love like that!" sort of view.

    & it also makes sense that m/m romance is targeted more towards women (or romance in general though that typically excludes me, heh). i have read a few m/m romances that i now realize were m/m romances. i was overly baffled of course bc i was waiting to relate to these sets of characters & instead im like "...wait a second, WHAT?" so im glad i can overlook that & not feel as offended as i used to.

    thanks for writing this! it was really interesting to read & i feel like i knew the difference between gay fiction & m/m romance, but i never took the time to really understand that (though i should've).
    June 30th, 2016 at 09:18pm
  • The Real Mitt Romney

    The Real Mitt Romney (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    78
    Location:
    Hong Kong
    I have no idea that these were two distinct things. I always knew but never consciously realised that m/m romance is written for girls. I mean, most of it's written by girls (I'm guilty), so it would most sense that it's targeted towards girls. I guess m/m fiction is to women as lesbian porn is to men.

    I like that you included a statistic about women being interested in "masculine men" but marrying "less masculine". That really sets thing in stone for me that romance novels can be pretty absurd, if I were to apply some of the plotlines to this world.

    Thanks for writing this. I feel like I should have known this. I did, deep down somewhere, but I never sat down and really understood just how different gay fiction is from m/m romance, or how different general romance is from novels created in order to portray reality.
    May 17th, 2015 at 11:33pm