Pedigree: Incest In The Animal Kingdom?

Pedigree: Incest In The Animal Kingdom? I had always knew that our dog: Dylan was a pedigree; and from a Crufts championship wining background. I had always knew that pedigree was inbreeding, but I didn't know to what extent. That was until my mother found his 'Pedigree Certificate'. Inside there is a family tree with 'sires': male ancestors, and 'dams': female ancestors. This goes all the way back to his great great great grandparents. There are about twenty five names in red pen; the red pen means that they are Crufts champions. The reason I said 'about twenty five' is because quite a few of those in red pen, are the same dog. This is a definite sign of incest. We also found out that 'Dylan' isn't our dogs real name, and he isn't almost thirteen. His real name is Delaroody, and he is almost eleven.

Different types of dogs suffer from different things as a result of inbreeding. As Dylan (or Delaroddy) is a west highland white terrier he gets the dog version of ex ma, but ten times worse, at its worst, all his fur falls out and he looks like a rat. Other dogs such as spaniels; whose brains get to big for their skull, Labradors get hip problems. Irish setters get eye troubles. Doberman get bleeding disorders. And boxers get heart problems. Obviously other breeds of dogs get worst problems. And not all pedigrees have this problem; some are lucky.

What I think is most disturbing, is that if someone asks you 'Is your mum your sister?' Your skin crawls. But if you have a pedigree dog in your house hold, it is socially excepted and sometimes idolized. Also, the way they breed them is foul. I could lie and say that most of the time the animal doesn't know who it's mating with, but that's just not true, a lot of the time they don't just know who they're mating, they are related to them. Just think about that when you are choosing a puppy or dog to bring home.

Latest articles