Is Now Really The Time For An Enviromental Revolution?

Is Now Really The Time For An Enviromental Revolution? With the struggling economy, many people are wondering whether or not to focus on more environmentally friendly technology. Earth Day, we should all pause and take a minute to reflect upon this paramount issue.

Now, as we all know, the economy is reaching its lowest points that it has in years, and the situation is causing some panic. Environmentalists are proposing that one way to lessen the blow of the already major impact of recession. They speak of all the jobs that could be created if the country started producing these "green" machines.

One of the waves of the future would be cars that do not require the use of gasoline. The cars run electrically, meaning they use a rechargeable battery. Many car manufacturers have already began experimenting with this concept ; an example would be the Dodge Circuit. However, these cars come with expensive price tags, which, nowadays just do not assimilate well with the average family's budget.

Wind and solar energy are also two very hot topics in the scientific community. Solar energy is an efficient option for large cities. On the other hand solar panels definitely aren't cheap, with prices averaging around $700 dollars per panel. Wind energy is a considerable option, but here again there are some problems with the concept. With America's population booming and more land being claimed for development, exactly where is one to construct a field of enough wind turbines to make a decent dent on energy consumption?

As the world enters a new stage of engineering, we must realize that there are many issues that need to be settled upon before any major action can be taken. Sure, having alternate energy sources would be great, if the budget could allow for it. Engineering new technology would produce many jobs, which could indeed help the nasty recession the economy has plunged into. It's all about balance: could we spend a sum of money here and be able to compensate for the spending elsewhere?

It has become very apparent that something needs to be done to combat the effects of global warming if humans want to continue to inhabit this planet. Is the situation paramount enough to be addressed now, in a time where money is already hard to come by, or is this something that should be delayed a couple more years, when perhaps the economy is in a better condition. Whatever the decision may be, we must not squander money where it need not be spent.

Latest articles