Fur Farms?

Fur Farms? Fur farming is the breeding or raising of certain animals for their fur. The most common animal bred for its fur is the Mink, but this article will focus on another animal, a little closer to home.

When I say Lassie, or Fido, what comes to mind? Family pet? Best friend? Well if I was to say this to certain people in the world, it would mean one thing: money.

Some places in the world, including China, breed and steal domesticated dogs and cats for their fur. And the methods used to obtain the fur are far from humane. Please stop reading if you are of a nervous disposition.

According to undercover investigations by the Swiss Animal Protection, PETA and the Humane Society International, domesticated dogs are being skinned alive for their fur. The animals are under no sedative during this, are often alive after being skinned, and are thrown onto a pile of other dying animals which have been previously skinned. The workers in these "Fur Farms" often hit the dogs off of the ground if they move around too much during the process to maintain a "clean cut" which will increase the value of the fur.

There is a video through this link - Fur Farm. There is no need to view it, but if you must, be warned that it is full of excruciating violence.

Thankfully, many places, including the U.S.A. and Australia have banned the import and export of Dog and Cat fur, and the EU imposed a full ban on January 1st 2009. Unfortunately, this has not put an end to the killing. China still exports fur to Russia which is used for clothing and figurines.

Fashion statement, or sin against animal rights? I think you know what I think.

Latest articles