Past the Universe - Comments

  • What an interesting thing to think about. Seriously, I've never thought of it that way...

    At times, I do look up into the sky and feel like there are no limits there. The only problem is that you can't see the limits, that's what I say. Maybe there is something containing the universe, but we can't see it because it's that big.

    Like when you look up at the sky at night, you barely see any stars compared to the billions and trillions that are actually out there. You only see what's the closest to you. Maybe that's it... we just see the next layer around our place.

    Also, on earth, all the matter is just bunched up together, and the further you get away from it... the matter gradually gets less and less. Until... you run out of matter. Maybe there's just a big open space of nothing that has tiny atoms flying around, that you can actually see, if there was the possibility of light or of someone's dense matter surviving through it.

    Oh my gosh! What if the universe is like breathing? For instance, right now the universe is breathing out, because all the matter is slowly moving away from everyone. Before the big bang, the universe was inhaling all of it together, then when the BANG happened, the universe was just starting to exhale.

    Wow, your article has so many possibilities of what could actually be happening right as we speak.

    I think the universe might have limits though. The limits is the amount of matter it can actually hold, which is always equal since matter just gets transfered from one atom to the next or is fused with another atom. Maybe it's just that the limit for space isn't so much an outer force, but an inner force...

    Maybe I should stop thinking about this... I feel like I'm making sense, but then again I confuse a lot of people... lol
    July 12th, 2010 at 10:44am
  • I totally agree, we shouldn't be curious too much. Not everything that we would discover will be great, it can be a total disaster too. It could be something great but it would soon lead to a disaster like some experiments. Sometimes things are just meant to stay the way it is. Or atleast that's what I think... I could be wrong too :)
    But I really like the way you think...
    April 13th, 2010 at 05:31am
  • I see your point, but I do believe it is slightly philosophically biased. That's a very philosophical approach.

    As more of a scientist - though hardly a physicist, in fact, far from it -, I believe that even if we do one day manage to leave our galaxy, we won't be disappointed. How could we be? Even if we found black nothingness, we'd be impressed. Why? Because we managed to get there. And because that black nothingness - commonly known as "black matter", surrounding our galaxy - is significant to us. And how is that? Because it was so hard to get to, it is an achievement in itself by reaching it. And because inside that black matter, you find us; humans.

    Very good read of an article :)
    January 31st, 2010 at 08:54pm
  • How can infinity not exist? You see it everyday with numbers. There are an infinite amount of numbers, all catagorized into a system, which has a bigger system into which it belongs
    ex. natural numbers...whole numbers...integers...rational number...real numbers

    I checked out the picture on the last comment...how can the universe be doing that?that doesn't make sense
    December 23rd, 2009 at 11:52pm
  • I sat through a lecture about something like this about two years a go at school, and the idea is that the universe is in the fourth dimension. It's really really difficult to get your head around, but go on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_dimension
    and look at the image in the top right hand corner. Yes, it's really trippy and confusing, but that's what the universe is thought to be like apparently, so it means it does end although I can't imagine how or what the boundaries could possibly look like or what form they'd take. I hope this helps with your theory :)
    October 22nd, 2009 at 07:03pm
  • I don't see how any of you are just so sure that the universe is expanding. I really don't. I'm one of the people that don't question the world order, but I question the people who think they know the world order. How do you know that universe is expanding? Are you just believing what some professor said? Or have you read some articles that says the universe is exspanding? either way, [b]you[/b] don't know for sure. No human being has been past Mars, or even been there at that and thats our neigboring planet, so how can you be so sure about the universe?! I don't blame this person for questioning whats out there, because when it all balls down to it, no one really knows the answer. Question exsistance, but don't pretend to know it.
    August 22nd, 2009 at 07:22am
  • Ever since the beginning of time, the Universe has been expanding. I don't really think it is inside of anything in particular, I think it is just something that happens to be there, and is rapidly growing.

    I know it sounds kind of dumb... but everyone has they're own personal theory.
    August 20th, 2009 at 09:54am
  • The universe is constantly expanding, the question is- into what?
    August 10th, 2009 at 01:27pm
  • Infinity is not real.
    I believe the universe has an end. Plain and simple.

    NOTHING can go on forever.
    July 26th, 2009 at 08:52pm
  • Ok... ok.. moving past the fact that this is a glorified but short journal article... what are you trying to say?

    Becuase frankly i'm confused. Broadly there are two ways to look at the universe, philosophically and scientifically.You've confused the two. if you want to actualy learn what scientists think they 'know' about the universe then study physics. Physics is great, think will then make sense to you that obviously don't now. Essentially though, the current model is that the universe started in a 'big bang', and has been expanding ever since. As it expands the amount of energy present is spread over a larger distance, so first Hydrogen formed and then fused to form the other elements in stars. You with me?

    This model says that the universe isn't infinite, but it's so f*cking huge it may as well be, and it's expanding all the time. Right. Cool. We've got lots of evidence for this, but perhaps mibba isn't the place to present it.

    As for what you seemed to think you were addressing; the philosophical nature of the universe.. well, it would seem highly unlikely that it's a dust mote in an alien universe.. why? Because it was featured in Men In Black, and anything that a hollywood script writter invents is unlikely to actually reflect reality.
    Chances seem to be that the universe is either not inside anything *shock horror*, which might be hard to understand but only coz of your puny human mind,or,more likely, is part of some humungous sea of energy which occasionally gives birth to 'universes'.

    It's unlikely we'll know in the near future.. why is this? Becuase it would be seriously hard to prove.

    Gabe
    July 26th, 2009 at 10:23am
  • Nice article but the universe is expanding currently. Eventually it will either expand until a point were it tears and is destroyed or it will collapse on it's self and go back to what it was before the big bang. Physicists believe, and are on the verge of proving (mathematically) that there are other universes besides our own. They believe that one day humans may have the technology to escape to those other universes in the event that ours is ended in one of the above mentioned catastrophes. This however will not be anytime soon. More likely then not humans will have all died out before then.
    July 25th, 2009 at 08:12am
  • *in another universe*
    July 23rd, 2009 at 03:12pm
  • SuperDevil beat me to the punch. In all likelihood, our universe is likely nothing more than a dustmote in the air on an alien world on another universe that ours simply touches now and again as it drifts thru the multidimensional space that God plays with.
    July 23rd, 2009 at 03:11pm
  • This isn't really an article; all you did was ask questions.

    The universe is getting bigger, though. It has been since the Big Bang.
    July 22nd, 2009 at 08:29pm
  • The universe is actually getting bigger. And the universe actually stops at one point.
    July 22nd, 2009 at 03:28pm
  • The universe is NOT getting smaller I'm going to tell you that much. that is so because of dark matter and dark energy. Dark matter is anywhere where light isn't. Dark energy is a theoretical energy that has anti-gravity properties, which is way the universe is actually expanding.

    There is a multiverse theory that says that there a probably other "universes", but those other universes are on other dimensions ( like a ten-dimensional universe - which actually makes a lot of sense)
    July 22nd, 2009 at 12:08pm
  • What a fascinating article. Not really typed like one, but hey, who cares? I think you've really reached some good points. You get us thinking. I Truly do not think the universe goes on forever, but, I think, there's something beyond the universe.
    July 22nd, 2009 at 10:13am
  • Not an article, but I think they're probably read more than journal entries, so I don't really care :)
    Anyway, I agree. But not just the universe: that a lot in this world should be left unaltered. However, I also think that mankind has almost an obsession to expand and take over all we can reach. Such as selling parts of the moon off to various people.

    But to ponder about the universe and all billion possibilities within and beyond all that we believe to be True is endlessly intriguing, I think :) ...I have a theory, randomly, about the question of what the universe is within by the way. What if everything works in a cycle of some sort, where we go from a person in a room, to the room being in the world, to the world being in the universe, to the universe being within something within a person? And so the cycle would continuously turn...

    Thanks very much for publishing. Now I have something to consider when I'm without anything else to do ^.^
    July 22nd, 2009 at 09:54am
  • I loved that short article. I agree with you - about leaving the universe alone. I know scientists are curious, heck, pretty much everyone is, but what if we stumble across something that really makes us regret our curiosity? It could either be another giant leap for mankind, or a total diaster.
    July 22nd, 2009 at 08:41am
  • I like the way you're thinking; I don't see how this is an article...
    July 22nd, 2009 at 07:42am