Animal Abuse: Horse Meat in the Black Market

Animal Abuse: Horse Meat in the Black Market We all know that animal abuse means mistreating an animal either physically or mentally. In Florida about 17 horses have been killed this year (so far) and it is suspected that they are killed for their meat and sold in the black market. Horses meat is low in fat and contains a high amount of nutrients. Easily, one pound of horse meat can cost $20.00! What has provoked conflict is the fact that, in Florida, buying horse meat is legal, while selling it is illegal, but.. If there is always a buyer, won't there always be a seller?

Killing horses for their meat is dirty business. An old man found his horse killed lying besides it's baby, chunks of meat and important organs missing. Once again, if there is always a buyer, won't there always be a seller? There has been serious debates over the prohibition of buying horses meat. This will certainly lower the amount of horse killings wouldn't it? But angry "rich people" say that as easily as they could buy illegal horse meat in Florida, they could buy horse meat from other countries in which horse meat is not illegal. Preposterous.

Horses are wild animals, they can be trained, and they are useful. To kill an animal such as this one is completely unnecessary and ignorant. There are many other types of meat much more edible than horse meat. It is not that I am saying that we should kill other animals in order to protect horses, what I am saying is that killing horses to sell its meat, being illegal, should mean that no horses should be being killed. I say reinforce the law. As well as other laws like the illegal fur trade, or encapsulating poachers not just letting them out under bail. They will just go back out and kill more animals again. It's how they make their living. Animal abuse is a controversial situation, some people consider it stupid.

Those are the people who think that animals are objects that humans should bend at their will, while others believe that animals are like people and have feelings and hurt just like us. Personally, I do not support animal abuse. The point is, we cannot avoid having to kill animals for food, because it is our main source of fare, but if it is illegal and you still kill it. That's abuse. There is a reason for laws and for not eating certain types of animals, plants, etc etc. Besides, you might just be risking your lives. Horse meat is highly contagious and porters of certain diseases. It's your choice.

Latest articles