Meat = Mass Murder Or Food?

Meat = Mass Murder Or Food? Meat is a vital source of our vitamins and minerals we need for a healthy life style. But is the meat industry a mass murder or a way of life passed down from our ancestors?

For people who believe that meat is an excuse to slaughter innocent animals the concept of eating it is revolting and they have found alternatives for example, tofu. These people have called themselves vegetarians and have to substitute their everyday vitamins that you get from meat with tablets and other vitamin and mineral products that can be obtained from the local chemist or health shop. Vegetarians believe that abattoirs and other meat producing factories or farms are cruel and pointless. Animals should be looked after, not bred for meat in a worthless life.

For people who do not share the same views, they believe that because our ancestors have eaten meat and it has been passed down through our blood that it is a way of life. Man breed animals for the purpose of food. If people have seen the way abattoirs work and how the animals feel nothing as they are killed and put onto the slaughter line for process and distribution to butcher shops.

But there are two sides to the breeding process. You have the free range animals that are kept on farms where they are free to roam around and strengthen their muscles and live a happy life. And then you have the industriously bred animals that are kept indoors day in day out and never see the light of day. They are culled, humanly killed when they become lame or ill because they do not fill their purpose for human consumption.

I personally believe in free range meat and that if the animal has had a good life then fair enough if it is fulfilling its purpose and ends its life after seeing the light of the sun and roaming around a farm to it's hearts content. But not everyone can afford thi, free range does come at a price.

But free range isn't highly regulated or had an organisation keep an eye on the free range farmers of our time. Free range regulations only state that the animal must be kept in an area that it may be able to move or 'roam free'. This does not state what size the area must be. This means that the area could be the size of your garden, and hold up, say, eleven cows and it will still be under the regulation of free range.

Industrious breeding for the meat industry isn't as blood and guts or swaying green grass on a summers day. It has a sinister side where forests and wildlife are destroyed to make room for the fields and farms in which the animals are kept. In Central America 40% of the rain forests have been torn down to create pasture for animals that are fit for human consumption. Also 80% of agricultural land in America is used for land for breeding animals for food.

But if we stopped the mass destruction of natural habitats and went back to how we hunted for meat when we were cave men and women we could actually stop the destruction and become civilized and eat meat at a sustainable level. We could eat and produce meat without destroying the world that we should be respecting.

So we come to the conclusion. Is meat a mass slaughter of innocent animals or a humane purpose that has been going on for centuries?

Statistics from: waitingforthestorm.com.

Latest articles