Global Warming - Fact or Fiction? - Comments

  • I liked this article, there were some spelling errors, but all-over a good article.

    I personally don't believe in global warming. In fact, in my part of the world, it been getting colder every year. The summers are getting cooler and the winters getting worse.

    I do agree that we need to take care of the planet by not littering and alternative fuel sources, those types of things. But with people complaining about the polar ice caps melting, that's just unnecessary.

    What if we lived when Antarctica was a tropical rain forest? Would we try to keep it from freezing? It's nature, let it take it's course. So what if we loose some land? Humans and animals have to adapt to the climate changes. If you don't/can't , well it's Darwin's theory in effect: survival of the fittest.
    January 6th, 2011 at 04:09am
  • I like the global warming scare. Some people have actually realized that-- oh hey! If we don't take care of the Earth, which we are feeding off of like ungrateful parasites, we will eventually render it inhabitable! So whether or not Global Warming is a serious issue, whether or not we are to blame, it's good that more people have taken a step back and realized what we're doing.
    November 22nd, 2010 at 11:32pm
  • Well i do agree with this article i dont know if the global warning is just fiction but i believe that we are just having some dramatic change but of course we should take care our planet now polar bear will adap hotter place and/or were there is no snow or have less snow will take more then 200yr to adap
    November 13th, 2010 at 02:37am
  • i dont agree with global warmming, but we should always treat the earth well. regardless.
    January 29th, 2010 at 11:37pm
  • I agree that it is a natural prosses, but we should still not litter and find clean energy. The chances of polor bears adapting, however, is slim, considering how few there are left. I do think that the earth is recovering from the last ice age, but the ozone layer is still highly damaged. I'm sorry, but I'm an earth person.
    October 25th, 2009 at 12:03am
  • Polar bears will adapt? Did you listen at all in your biology classes?
    It takes thousands of years for that to happen. They will not suddenly shed layers of fat and fur and manage to live in Africa - and if they did there'd be many knock on effects.
    Perhaps you're right - perhaps the Earth is naturally heating up but the results will still be disasterous. More water than ice will still equal land being engulfed by the oceans/seas so it's still necessary for us to try and prevent this happening.
    And it's not CO2 doing most of the damage, you're right there. It's methane from the meat industry mostly.
    So to conclude: whether global warming is something natural and inevitable or not, we still need to prolong the effects of it as long as possible.
    September 5th, 2009 at 10:05pm
  • Finally, someone disagrees with all this global warming hullabaloo. Its not that big of a deal, why do people care?
    September 5th, 2009 at 08:53pm
  • I agree, it's a natural process. Nothing we can do about it.
    August 25th, 2009 at 04:46am
  • Whenever someone tries to explain to me how our disregard for the environment and our burning of fossil fuels is causing global warming, I always respond with "Oh yeah? So how did the Ice Age melt?"

    That stumps them. I think this is a phase that the globe goes through every thousand years or so.
    August 24th, 2009 at 10:36pm
  • The Earth has gone through tons of phases.
    I believe this is one of them.
    The only difference is now there are scientists to blow it out of proportion.
    About 20 years ago they also thought we were going into an Ice Age. =/

    I do believe that we don't treat our planet right, however.
    And we are the cause of the hole in the Ozone.
    But we give ourself too much credit in causing 'Global Warming'
    It would happen without us.
    August 22nd, 2009 at 10:39pm
  • for anyone who believes this.. go read SuperDevil 's comment.
    August 22nd, 2009 at 09:51pm
  • Global Warming has been going on long before we began making factories and cars. That's how the last Ice Age ended. True, we may not be helping, but it will happen nonetheless.
    August 22nd, 2009 at 07:50pm
  • ***Sorry incorrect quote...."In the last century temperture has increased by 0.5% (sounds small but is big!)"
    August 22nd, 2009 at 11:34am
  • Would like to point out it's really not ignorant that i stated volcanoes do, becuase they infact do have an affect on the realese of green house gases, so we can't just blame our own consumpution of fossil fuels. But the fact is I agree with you(superdevil) since the industrial revolution, in the last century temperature has increase by 1% (sounds small but is big) you are right.
    It's ignorant to state that global warming is fiction...how can it be fiction when it's occuring? The temperatures are rizing therefore the earth is getting hotter, surely that is global warming.
    August 22nd, 2009 at 11:03am
  • Wow. That's how I'm going to start. I'm going to tell you why you are wrong and why the people who commented are wrong. You don't support your "theory" with any citations or sources, which contradicts what your theory. You think that global warming doesn't exist because you claim that you've read "dozens" of internet pages. Well, there are hundreds of scientists, maybe even thousands, that have been studying, researching, and doing hands-on experiments to claim that global warming exists for decades already. Yet, you just very little compared to what actual scientists are doing and you claim that global warming isn't real.

    Now, to go to the good stuff. What is global warming? Global warming is the increase of the average temperature of the Earth's near - surface air and oceans since the mid-20th century and its projected continuation.The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) concludes that increasing greenhouse gas concentrations resulting from human activity such as fossil fuel burning and deforestation caused most of the observed temperature increase since the middle of the 20th century. The IPCC also concludes that variations in natural phenomena such as solar radiation and volcanoes produced most of the warming from pre-industrial times to 1950 and had a small cooling effect afterward.These basic conclusions have been endorsed by more than 45 scientific societies and academies of science, including all of the national academies of science of the major industrialized countries.

    I noticed that someone commented that volcanoes release a lot more carbon dioxide that fossil fuel emmisions. That's pretty ignorant. Naturally occuring greenhouse gases have a mean warming effect of about 33 Celsius. The major greenhouse gases are water vapor, which causes about 39 -70 percent of the greenhouse effect; carbon dioxide which causes 9 - 26 percent; methane, which 4 - 9 percent; and ozone, which causes 3 -7 percent.

    Human activity since the Industrial Revolution has increased the amount of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, leading to increased radiative forcing from CO2, methane, tropospheric ozone, CFCs and nitrous oxide. The concentrations of CO2 and methane have increased by 36% and 148% respectively since the mid-1700s. These levels are considerably higher than at any time during the last 650,000 years, the period for which reliable data has been extracted from ice cores. Less direct geological evidence indicates that CO2 values this high were last seen approximately 20 million years ago. Fossil fuel burning has produced about three-quarters of the increase in CO2 from human activity over the past 20 years. Most of the rest is due to land-use change, particularly deforestation.

    So global warming will continue even we stop using fossil fuels as our main resources. It would take hundreds - maybe even a thousand years to reverse to effect of global warming on the Earth.
    August 22nd, 2009 at 07:13am
  • I think regardless of whether or not Global warming to fact or fiction we should still be taking care of the environment.
    August 22nd, 2009 at 07:02am
  • Finally someone who hasn't been brainwashed by unlogical "facts".
    August 22nd, 2009 at 03:24am
  • I agree 100 percent!
    August 21st, 2009 at 11:23pm
  • i agree! if it does exist it is like 5% (or less) our fault!
    August 21st, 2009 at 09:31pm
  • I never believed this bullshit in the first place. ;]
    August 21st, 2009 at 06:09pm