Global Warming? Global Nothing! - Comments

  • itsKatastrophe.

    itsKatastrophe. (145)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    You realize that you contradict yourself right? If we were in an ice-age then why has everything been melting for the last few decades? It’s been proven that the earth’s temperature naturally fluctuates but human beings are adding to it. There are volcanoes that erupt every year but this is on top of all of the pollution that is emitted into the air by human beings. There is no way that we can burn and pollute the air without it having an adverse effect. There are thousands of studies that show that we are creating an ever-widening gap in the ozone layer, which is increasing the temperature of the earth beyond what it would be in a natural fluctuation.
    Your article is completely one-sided.
    May 16th, 2012 at 04:13am
  • xXxWickedAngelsxXx

    xXxWickedAngelsxXx (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    25
    Location:
    United States
    I agree with the others that said that it's too warm to be an ice age. This article is one-sided, and I think you should dig into the articles that believe in global warming right now. To that person who said animals die every day because others eat them, that is almost never the case. That isn't the reason why. Say there are, um...forty of one breed on one island, and this breed are herbivores. Greenery is everywhere. And then say there are...sixty of another breed on the island also, these ones being carnivores. The carnivores usually fight, kill, and die for the herbivores, their only source of food. And then, the two species even out, so food is equal. The only way they were to become endangered is if the herbivores greenery were to become poisoned, or if they were to die out because of water shortage, so the plants begin to die. And so, the population of the herbivores will shrink, and the carnivores, with a shrinking food supply, will begin to die out also. So, adding it all up, either nature causes the animals to go extinct, or we do.
    February 26th, 2012 at 04:57am
  • Narzisse Narcosis;

    Narzisse Narcosis; (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Zimbabwe
    @Denimdoll: Yeah they do. It's called NASA.

    Within this article, you have contradicted yourself. You state: "We are in the middle of an ice Age. . ." then you go on to say that "the climate change we are experiencing is natural." While this initially isn't contradictory (and I see what you meant, i.e. the earth's climate changes naturally and we are coming out of this ice age right now), but if you think about some of the facts of your theory (there is no Global Warming) and some of the facts of the Global Warming theory, you need to elaborate a bit more. You say that we are in the middle of an ice age and that it is perfectly natural that the ice caps are melting. Well, not so much. For one, it's too warm for us to be considered "in an ice age." And due to the extremity of the positions of the North and South Poles, they should always be capped with ice. Or else we'll have problems.
    The evidence which supports that Global Warming is being furthered by human activity is that these ice caps are melting much rapidly than they ever have in recorded history. Furthermore, people actually go to these ice caps and collect samples, so it's not like they're pulling all this out of their asses when it comes to pollution.
    Also, if one takes into account the fact that our natural disasters have been much more severe in the past 25 years than ever and are growing more violent, it is common sense that pollution is causing this. Do you know how many unnatural things are getting into our environment because of irresponsible cooporations and industry compared to before the Industrial Revolution? It is no wonder that we have such problems now.
    Also, I would love to see you try to tell someone from Vietnam that Global Warming doesn't exist. People are going hungry there because of desertification and floods due to climate change.
    March 6th, 2011 at 07:57pm
  • DenimDoll

    DenimDoll (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    Look, I don't want to insult nobody here, but, I don't give a flying frick about this so-called "global warming". Hole in ozone? How can you tell? Do scientist fly up there and see an actual hole? How the hell would they know? Here, in Florida, it went down to 7 degrees, only nine degrees higher than the coldest day ever! And recycling? I think it's important, but some people don't give a damn, and that's how it turned out like this, and now we have to go over the top. There is no plausible proof of any of these things. Lower animal rates? Well, this is because every animal's eating them! It's the circle of life (and it moves us all)!
    March 6th, 2011 at 04:14am
  • UsagiChaan

    UsagiChaan (155)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    First things first, yes, the Earth's climate does change naturally, but there is evidence that states that humans are accelerating the process of the warming.

    http://www.ecostudies.org/images/education/chp/HAEC/HAEC.pdf
    http://www.sciencemag.org/content/299/5615/2005.abstract

    Secondly, this article seems a little one sided. If you could have maybe disproved some of the arguments of the other side, it might have made a better argument.

    Third, Wikipedia is never a reliable source since anyone can go and change it.
    March 5th, 2011 at 12:08am
  • Juicebox Child

    Juicebox Child (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    Ireland
    http://messages.yahoo.com/Science/Astronomy/threadview?m=tm&bn=18934669&tid=329&mid=858&tof=30&rt=2&frt=2&off=1
    That's another one :)
    February 27th, 2011 at 05:40pm
  • Juicebox Child

    Juicebox Child (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    Ireland
    http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20041101/leaves.html
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1200/is_v129/ai_4164401/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antarctic_ecozone
    These are all sources relating to the natural forests of antarctica. the 3rd one is wikipedia :)
    February 27th, 2011 at 05:33pm
  • tarantallegra

    tarantallegra (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    I think a good portion of this article is irrelevant and I question your sources.
    February 26th, 2011 at 10:15pm
  • wxyz

    wxyz (240)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    96
    Location:
    Aland Islands
    I really liked this article. I never really believed that global warming was as much of an issue as it's made out to be, but reading the facts in this made that even more secure, so I'm happy about that. I noticed you didn't specifically give sources, and that they were quite vague, which might be something to improve on, but I found the article very interesting and I trust that you've sourced things reliably.
    February 26th, 2011 at 08:08pm
  • WriteToLive

    WriteToLive (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I think that one way to look at this is how I look at it: whether or not global warming exists doesn't matter. Just think: if we try to change our carbon footprint or the ways that we harmfully impact the earth, it will make a difference in the way that the earth is 20 years from now.
    February 22nd, 2011 at 11:11pm
  • Miss Tyranny

    Miss Tyranny (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    102
    Location:
    United States
    Finally. I would've written an article just like this, if I were any good at writing articles.
    February 19th, 2011 at 09:36pm
  • NobodyThatMatters_13

    NobodyThatMatters_13 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    Canada
    Intering opinions, but I believe that since we've only been measuring temperatures for hundreds of years, and the earth's been around a lot longer than that, we have no real evidence of anything. Yes, this could be an ice age, or not. Global warming could be caused by human activities, or not. I don't believe that any research has been around long enough to provide enough evidence for any side.
    February 18th, 2011 at 01:33am
  • Spiralling Shape

    Spiralling Shape (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Australia
    Whoops, I meant the amount of fossil fuels that [i]are[/i] burnt, not aren't burnt.
    February 17th, 2011 at 01:12pm
  • Spiralling Shape

    Spiralling Shape (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Australia
    I feel like I should say something for the [i]greenie brigade rent a crowd[/i] as [b]carrotpig[/b] so eloquently put it. Climate change [i]is[/i] a natural part of Earth's cycle but the simple truth is that we're speeding up this process so much that the rest of the species on Earth can't keep up. A change in temperature of just a few degrees is enough to destroy whole ecosystems, such as The Great Barrier Reef where coral bleaching [caused by global warming] is a major threat.

    The fact is that compared with nitrogen and oxygen [which make up about 99%], there really isn't that much carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, which means that when these levels are increased the consequences are bigger and more extreme. I read somewhere that CO2 levels have increased by 35% of the last 300 years, mostly due to humans. That's [i]huge[/i]. The amount of fossil fuels that aren't burnt everyday is only increasing. Add this to the fact that humans are rapidly eliminating the best way to convert carbon dioxide into oxygen and you have a recipe for disaster.

    That's all I'll say, although I could argue my opinions all day [I guess most people could though]. I enjoyed reading your article though and I thought it was well written and informative. Although, I'm not really sure about the relevance of the recycling bit.
    February 17th, 2011 at 01:11pm
  • Tom_Randall

    Tom_Randall (1650)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    I'd probably argue, from your comment, that the human race has been through one ice age, the one we are still experiencing. The problem is, 10,000 years ago we could travel wherever to the best place was to survive, for food e.t.c. In this day and age, are we so settled that in order to revert back to this state of nature, we would need to destroy our civilisations, and become a near position of anarchy? If we can survive it, the only way is to create a solution, with the technology we have, or other, in order to survive it. I appreciate you do not have a solution :) That would be asking far too much, no one has a solid solution. I'd argue mine - we would need to make all country borders completely permeable in order to allow mass movement, so when one country gets flooded, as it's predicted Holland will, the refugees stranded will be able to move to a better place, in order to survive.
    February 17th, 2011 at 05:06am
  • Ariveria

    Ariveria (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    Like the person below said, I like that you had the guts to post this. :)
    However, I can't say I quite agree with the attitude. But you know, you are free to think how you want to think, and it seems like you're more rational about it all than quite a few others. I did learn some interesting things! Much value in this article just for that. Like, I had no idea we are actually in an ice age. That's kinda cool! :)
    So anyway, yeah, it's a bit biased, but it's entertaining, informative, and well-written. Good job! :)
    February 17th, 2011 at 03:58am
  • carrotpig

    carrotpig (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Australia
    Haha I LOVE this article and the fact you had the guts to post it! The second ANYBODY denies global warming, the greenie brigade rent a crowd jump on them. Interesting article and good points!
    February 17th, 2011 at 03:07am
  • HeavensLittleDreamer

    HeavensLittleDreamer (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    Ireland
    This article was very interesting and well written and I get what you're saying and yes, climate change can be a natural change, but sadly I believe Global warming is a truth and is causing difficulties and pollution is the main cause. I recently watched a Documentry that explained if we don't do something now, in ten years the damage will be done and we won't be able to fix it.
    Eveb if Global warming is a myth though, it wouldn't kill people to be more eco-friendly, I'm not talking about chaining yourself to a tree to stop people from cutting it down, just be more considerate, recycle, walk once in a while instead of drive, just do your bit.
    February 17th, 2011 at 12:19am
  • rathlora

    rathlora (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    they should move the ice caps to scotland. it's been getting colder evry year >.<
    February 16th, 2011 at 11:51pm
  • kafka.

    kafka. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    @Juicebox Child

    We can make quite accurate estimates regarding the weather/climate in a certain period based on geographic data - ice layers, level of erosion, etc. The last glacial age happened 20,000 years ago and it made vast portions of the globe inhabitable for human beings - most of Europe, for example, was tundra or steppe-tundra. European agriculture could not survive that. To say nothing of the way a bit of snow brings most of humanity to a standstill - airports shut down, trains are not working, roads are closed, schools, public institutions and factories shut down, supermarkets run out of basic supplies, etc. So, yes, we could survive climate change, but only if we were willing to let huge areas of an already overpopulated Earth become inhabitable and move millions of people over thousands of kilometers.
    February 16th, 2011 at 11:38pm