The Lycanthrope

The Lycanthrope, most commonly known as the werewolf or in French mythology, the Loup-Garou. The idea of the werewolf has dated to as far back as the sixteenth century and the general concept still runs as strong today as it ever has. Naturally the modern world has lost the fear factor that the werewolf would have pronounced onto the world in the sixteenth century as the werewolf was believed to be actually real.

Back then people wouldn't leave their homes in fear of being attacked and ripped apart by an angry wolf beast.

In case you are unfamiliar, Lycanthropy is the ability, power or curse laid upon a human being which allows them to transform into a werewolf, this is either at the full moon or in some cases at their own will.

The most common cause of lycanthropy is to be bitten or physically marked by another lycanthrope, although this condition can also be hereditary. In other cases, lycanthropy is not given any specific cause other than being generally attributed to magic, which may be voluntary, that is if the magic is put upon yourself as opposed to laid upon you as a curse.

Lycanthropy can begin when one believes that he/she is destined to take a form of something. Usually this happens in a time of vulnerability, such as after a wedding, death, or major change. Often, the transformation is triggered by someone saying something, doing something, something that makes the victim believe that he/she must begin transformation, such as someone they truly love being in danger. Sometimes, the victim even reads something that makes them believe that they should change form. Usually, the process begins with dry skin, fatigue, and the need to be alone. Slowly, cravings will change and the victim's body will begin to undergo the metamorphosis. Eyes may change shape, hands will change, and hair and eye will gradually change color.

Of course the myth is a good one and quite overused in western modern day film and literature, but it is likely we will see the shadow of the past on our screens and in our books for a good while yet.

Latest articles