Amphibians in Trouble

Amphibians in Trouble Amphibians are extremely sensitive organisms. The slightest change in temperature, precipitation, vegetation or minerals can completely devastate their survival. As estimated by the International Zoological Foundation, we have 6,000 known species of frogs. Of this 6,000, a full third of these species are critically endangered, if they’re not already extinct. Amphibians have always been a good indicator of ecological changes, and if we do nothing to intervene, this is an extremely negative sign.

There are many causes as to why amphibians are so delicate and endangered; you can count in the typical culprits like climate change and pollution. Amphibians have very permeable skin, which allows them to breath. Not only does this let in air, but any chemicals that may be in their water or the environment around them as well. Habitat loss is also a crucial issue for amphibians. Many species of amphibians can only thrive in very tropical, wet regions. As rain forests are demolished, these creatures have no where to go, resulting in a cruel death.

In addition to those reasons, amphibians have a unique problem; the Chytrid fungus. This fungus is spreading throughout ecosystems rapidly. Within a year of invading a particular ecosystem, this fungus manages to kill at least 80% of the amphibians that once lived there. In the last decade alone, the Chytrid fungus has managed to cause over twelve species to go extinct.

These numerous factors all have the same conclusion; the extinction of amphibians if nothing is done. Not only will we lose our amphibians, but the multiple animals that prey on them. Ecosystems will be devastated and permanently altered. This could be the beginning of a tragic cycle as our ecological balances spiral downward. Dedicated conservationists and zoologists have devoted their lives and careers to preventing this from occurring.

One particular conservation group that needs to be commended is the Amphibian Ark. They have declared 2008 the year of the frog, and by doing this they're encouraging zoos to step up and educate their visitors about just how important these amphibians are. They've partnered with Clorox ® to raise awareness of the Chytrid fungus, and Clorox company has donated bleach to fight the fungus. Jeff Corwin has endorsed the organization and provided them with promotional videos.

For more information on the Amphibian Ark and what you can do to help save these delicate creatures, visit their official website.

Latest articles