Natural Disasters: Tornadoes

A tornado is called by meteorologists the most deadliest and dangerous natural disaster, and for good reason. The damage that a tornado can do in such a small period of time can be devastating to people and their properties. We sometimes hear about the destruction that happened after a tornado touched down on land, but what do we really know about tornadoes? How is it formed? What to do in case a tornado watch or warning is issued? What’s the difference between a watch and a warning? To find out the answer to these questions and more, please continue reading the article.

What is a tornado?

A tornado is a narrow funnel of rotating high forces of wind that extend from the base of a thunderstorm to the ground. The funnel that you see in the picture is made up of water droplets, debris and dust making the actual “funnel” visible. These high forces of wind move in a menacing circular motion with wind speeds averaging less than 110 mph/ 177 km/h and once touched down onto land, travel only a few miles before falling apart. Even though they only travel a few miles, do not let that fool you. One tornado can cause excessive damage to homes, pick up cars off the road, damage roads and bridges and much, much more.

No one exactly knows why or how a tornado occurs or what conditions must be met for a tornado to form and touch down on land. Scientist do know that the most dangerous and deadly tornadoes occur out of rotating thunderstorms called “supercells”, that have a visible and well-defined rotation on a radar.

Unlike hurricanes, which are only formed in warm tropical waters, tornadoes can be experienced anywhere in the world. There have been tornadoes in Bangladesh, Argentina, Australia, Europe, Africa, New Zealand and many more places. Although tornadoes can occur almost anywhere, most tornadoes occur in the United States’ “Tornado Alley”. This is where most of the 1,200 tornadoes that touchdown in the United States occur.

How are tornadoes rated?

Just like hurricanes, tornadoes also have a scale that measures the intensity of the storm. But instead of measuring the intensity during the storm (like a hurricane), tornadoes are rated after it has died down. The reason for this is because it would be much too dangerous and almost impossible for meteorologist to go in the “eye” of a tornado and measure its wind speeds. Instead, meteorologists go into the area where the tornado has touched down and analyze the damage that has been made. From that, they can estimate the wind speeds of a tornado and rate it on a system called the “Enhanced Fujita Scale” which was issued by the National Weather Service in 2007 which rates tornadoes much more efficiently than its predecessor the “Fujita Scale”. The scale goes from EF1 – EF5. EF1 would have some sort of minimal damage, while an EF5 tornado would bring maximum damage and cause the most fatalities.

Tornado Watch vs. Tornado Warning

A tornado watch is issued by meteorologists who monitor weather conditions over a huge area to determine if weather conditions are favorable for a potential tornado. If a tornado watch is issued, this means that conditions are favorable for a tornado to possibly occur and that you should take precautionary measures to keep safe. Once a tornado watch has been issued, go indoors if possible and tune into local news or the radio weather channel to get important updates about the possibility of tornadoes.

A tornado warning is issued by your local meteorologists who monitor weather conditions solely in your area. If a tornado warning is issued, it means that there is a definite funnel cloud that has been seen by radar or witnesses, and homes and people in the path of the tornado are in serious danger. This is when you must take shelter immediately and keep your emergency kit at hand as a tornado may be fast approaching.

The difference between a tornado watch and a tornado warning is that:

  • A tornado watch means that conditions are favorable for a potential tornado in your area.
  • A tornado warning means that there is already an active tornado in your area and you must take shelter immediately.

What to do during a tornado?

The most important thing to do after a tornado warning has been issued is to seek immediate shelter. Once you are in a sturdy building, ready.gov recommends

  • Going into a safe room or basement of the building
  • If a basement is not available, the next safest place is to go in the lowest floor possible in the center of the building
  • Stay away from windows, corners and doors
  • Lie under a sturdy furniture item and protect your head and neck with your hands

The Red Cross also suggests that you assemble and maintain an emergency disaster kit with items such as:

  • A first-kit
  • Battery-powered radio, batteries, and lanterns
  • Canned and non-perishable foot items along with a hand operated can opener
  • Bottled water
  • Sturdy shoes

For a more complete and detailed list of all measures you must take during a tornado, click here.

Latest articles