Killer Whales: Is Captivity Okay? - Comments

  • Maximum Ride

    Maximum Ride (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    24
    Location:
    United States
    I couldn't take this seriously. The only site you had was from Blackfish, and all of the information from blackfish is biased, and seaworld has shown how wrong it is, showing that this movie is where the lies and cruelty is, not SeaWorld. I do support the right of speech and opinion on the subject, but please do more research and not base all of your information off of a single movie. Here's SeaWorld's truth about Blackfish: http://da15bdaf715461308003-0c725c907c2d637068751776aeee5fbf.r7.cf1.rackcdn.com/adf36e5c35b842f5ae4e2322841e8933_4-4-14-updated-final-of-blacklist-list-of-inaccuracies-and-misleading-points.pdf?pos=5
    April 25th, 2014 at 12:31am
  • DA7X6661

    DA7X6661 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    36
    Location:
    United States
    @ Kiss Me Deadly.
    I agree...and actually thats where it started for me..I saw the Cove on tv and right when it ended I texted the code for information. I will never forget that poor dolphin that tried getting away..so tragic
    January 29th, 2014 at 07:41am
  • DA7X6661

    DA7X6661 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    36
    Location:
    United States
    I have alot of friends that actually are pro sea world..I used to be but as soon as I heard about Blackfish I went to go see it. Now of course everyone thats pro sea world is trying to say that its not true it was faked that its full of lies and blah blah blah..Yes I understand that theyve done good research thats fine..but keeping them there and forcing them to do tricks? No. Not only that but there have been deaths and injuries..I dont care what they say but obviously that is NOT a lie. Its sad that they cant focus on that instead of focusing on sites and channels and directors who are "known" for making things up..well they cant lie about people dying. It just irritates me that they dont care about that.
    January 29th, 2014 at 07:38am
  • Graffiti Kid

    Graffiti Kid (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I think you should have touched more on more about the animals themselves in captivity rather than when trainer's slip into the water with them. I dont know, it just sounded like at first the article was pointing out how dangerous it was for the trainers.
    But I do agree; no animal that large in size should be forced in a tank and made to put on shows for human delight.
    September 17th, 2013 at 12:27am
  • Queen of the Clouds

    Queen of the Clouds (4955)

    :
    Admin
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    New Zealand
    I think that animals in captivity (especially the large ones that need space, like killer whales) shouldn't really happen. There are exceptions - of course if an animal is endangered or hugely threatened, then keeping it in a (reasonable) captive area is good, and same for having an ambassador or two to raise public awareness. But having a wild animal essentially as a pet to perform tricks for the public isn't exactly necessary...
    September 11th, 2013 at 01:38am
  • lady_enygma

    lady_enygma (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    77
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    Would also just like to point out too, that where I work houses absolutely no captured animals with the exception of two primates rescued from pet trade. And we house no white tigers or white lions. As for these beautiful marine animals featured in your article, I actually am glad to say we would never house killer whale or dolphin.
    September 11th, 2013 at 12:53am
  • lady_enygma

    lady_enygma (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    77
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    You know what? I have a lot to say on this. When I was 16 I did the trainer for a day programme at Sea World Orlando and met Tilikum. The enclosure was good enough in my eyes, it's a lot bigger behind the scenes than people realise. And the respect these trainera have for the animals, is amazing. if the animal doesn't want to do something they do not make it dobit as they appreciate that it is a wild animal and could kill them at any given moment. Now, this isn't to say that some trainers dont get carried away. However, the latest death at Sea World, well the trainers have a strict rule about their hair. The trainer's hair was not tied up to the right regulation If she couldn't meet that regulation, then what other regulations was she not meeting?

    As for making them do tricks, there is a reason behind it. You see, as much as we want to look at this from an animal rights point of view, we also have to look at it from an animal welfare point of view. I do not agree with capturing animals. That is bang out of order. But for these animals born in captivity, who for some reason camnot be rehabilitated into the wild, we have to look at whats best for them while they're in captivity. Now if they did no shows, there would be no stimulation for that Orca, they'd be bored and would get depressed. These shows, whike some see as degrading, are necessary to give that stimulation.

    Don't get me wrong, I would love to see these animals back where they belong. but while they're in captivity, and the ecidence shows that some would not be suitable for rehabilitation, is it not best for them to be living the fullest life possible? Getting the stimulation they need, and the best care that they can get. We as humans, need to respect that these are wild animals, and that despite being in captivity, should still be kept as wild as possible. In my eyes, that's where Sea World fail. They do not keep them as wild as possible. By all means do the shows, play with them, after all it enables health checks and gives stimulation. But do not get in the water, do not think you are above them, respect them.

    I have to say also, when I was at the sea lion stadium there, before the show went on, one decided it did not want to stay back stage it wanted to go and show off. so the ahow was delayed for ages because nobody was going to have an argument with a sea lion. And then during the show, one of the ones performing he'd rather be in his own personal pool out the back rather than performing. Then to make it go even more wrong, the next sea lion they decided to finish the show with deciddd to go to point b with the other one. The trainer then went on stage and said to the audience "we've got a slight problem, one sea lion is meant to be at point a, one is meant to be at point b. But they're both at point b, and when both sea lions want to be at point b, you let them." What I'm getti g at with this, is the animals run the shows. if they dont want to do something they dont, if they want to wreak havoc and make it all go wrong, they will.

    I'm a zoo keeper now. I work with small primates and small mammals. The wildlife park I work at, is extremely big, and pretty much open plan. except fot the leopard and lion enclosures. So many times we have people challenge us, but our animals are happy, we make sure they're happy. We let them be themselves. And thanks to a programme we're part of, one species is no longer on the critically endagered list. But yeah, ar the end of the day, Wild animals are just that, wild. So even in captivity, let them be who they are, and they'll appreciate you a lot more
    September 11th, 2013 at 12:40am
  • GGGG.

    GGGG. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    45
    Location:
    United States
    I am firmly against any and all whales being kept in captivity. They are too intelligent and enormous to be happily kept in a tank. Dolphins have been recorded drowning themselves because they became so depressed in their tanks. It's terrible. They need to be in the wild, not performing tricks for our entertainment.
    September 9th, 2013 at 05:09pm
  • Kiss Me Deadly.

    Kiss Me Deadly. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    Amazing article, and I definitely agree with you. I believe that all animals that aren't endangered or at risk should be kept in the wild where they're meant to be. I'm not sure if you've seen the documentary, The Cove, about the dolphin and whale killings/capturings in Japan, but that's another great and informative documentary.
    September 8th, 2013 at 10:00pm
  • Nixxie

    Nixxie (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    Canada
    This is a truly well written article. I've been learning everything i can about orca whales since i was roughly the age of 4. I completely agree that these magnificently power creatures do not exist for a tourists enjoyment. They were meant to be free.
    September 8th, 2013 at 09:47pm
  • laredo.

    laredo. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    Incredible article!
    September 8th, 2013 at 08:19pm