Constructive Criticism: The Work of Wonder

Constructive Criticism: The Work of Wonder We have all come across that faulty article, or that poem that had numerous grammar mistakes. We also had different was of handling it too. Some would leave comments such as ‘This sucks.’ or the ever-so-thoughtful rant decorated with every swear known to man. Even the ‘I agree’ comment isn’t constructive. I’m sure we have all been guilty of this at least once. It’s about time writers here receive the respect and positivity they deserve, whether the writing was absurd or completely biased.

This negative critique that writers may come across really sinks in. Most writers depend on others’ opinion, so they take what they hear from others to heart. These hateful comments can really hurt a person’s self-esteem. They may not have learned from their mistakes at all from these comments, because they were to busy focusing on the negativity of the comment rather than the hidden advice. Unconstructive criticism isn’t the most progressive criticism. I highly doubt anybody learns anything from those types of comments.

On the other hand, pointless criticism is also quite a waste. Sure the ‘I love this article!’ comment is positive, but it doesn’t tell the writer what exactly was so great. Without explained criticism, the writer cannot expand with their writing. The ‘Perhaps you could creatively word what you said in the 5th paragraph, it would help me picture it better in my mind.’ comment is more desired in this situation.

Hopefully now you can take what you’ve read and give writers the advice they deserve. I’m sure they worked hard on the article or poem they wrote despite the countless mistakes. They need the helpful comments from others in order to learn. I’m not saying there aren’t some articles that are completely uncultured. But the next time you come across an article that really grinds your gears, just swallow your swears and negative comments. Try as hard as you can to give the advice they need, and try not to sound completely ignorant. I’m sure the writer will take to heart what you said, and improve the next time they write.

Every writer deserves great advice. They may one day take the advice you gave them and become a talented journalist, a famous poet, or even a prevalent columnist. Fellow peers are the ultimate source of inspiration, and you could be a positive contributor.

Latest articles