Whatever Happened To Grammar And Spelling?

Whatever Happened To Grammar And Spelling? Looking around several sites and observing comments from different users, it clear to see that English grammar is falling.

Whilst I understand that not everyone feels the need to use proper grammar and spelling outside of the classroom and on a site used for ‘socialising,’ what is the need for word substitution?

I see this a lot when talking with my younger sister but I also see it on replies for news subjects on the Kerrang! website. People are either shortening words or changing the word completely. For example, the most common word that is changed is the word; ‘You.’

The word, ‘you’ is also seen spelt like; ‘Yew, Yooh, U, Yoo.’ For the simple letter ‘u’ used instead of the full word is more understandable but as for the others; as you can see, some of them have the same amount of letters as the original word. So my question is; is this way of spelling a way to look good, feel better when writing, or are we just becoming lazy?

So many of us within our class often ask the same; How is typing a substitute word ‘quicker’ when the word you are using consists of the same amount of letters as the average word you are replacing? Surely it can’t be that hard to type it out properly?

Another point is not that it grates on my nerve but also that this kind of grammar is used so much outside of school, pupils are bringing it into their class work. Many times in school, when I did the same, I was told that my essays were not counted for as ‘text’ language was found within them. The main problem was that I had no idea that I had done it.

Teachers and lecturers have quoted that it is a serious issue as students are forgetting how to write correctly, sometimes forgetting that they are in school not at home.

So coming back to my understanding that some people prefer to use this kind of language out of school as a way of communication with your friends, which is fine. Also, I understand that people have difficulties with spelling but what I am trying to say is that whilst you may use this word substitution at home; should it not stay at home?

Finally, when arguing a point on whatever site you may use; you may find that people would take your argument a lot more serious if you used the correct spelling and tried to use the right grammar. Not everyone is perfect at it but if in doubt, use a spell checker.

Latest articles