Homosexuality vs. or With Christianity?

Homosexuality vs. or With Christianity? Nowadays, freedom of speech is something Britain prides itself on, though stating something negative is taboo. You can't declare that 'this is wrong' without upsetting the fragile balance of the politically correct.

Homosexuality has become far more accepted in the past few years, with civil partnerships meaning that gay couples can have more security in their relationships. It is not surprising that such a recent issue should be the feature article of religious news. Media is honing in on the debate between different sections of the church, and outlining those who stick to traditionalistic views as "the bad guys".

The two sides of the argument are such:

Those who believe that homosexuality is natural, and those who believe it to be a sin. The main issue is whether or not someone in a homosexual relationship should or should not be allowed to preach.

Those in favour claim that homosexuality is the way you were born and therefore only natural. However, it says in Leviticus 18:22 "Do not have sexual relations with a man as you would with a woman, for that is detestable to God".

People argue that the old testament is irrelevant since the resurrection, therefore not applying today. In the same passage though, a whole series of rules are set down about sexual acts and what is wrong. There is not a single one that would be accepted now. So homosexuality is placed in the same lines as having sex with a sibling, or animal. If you are going to argue that homosexuality is right, you have to say that the other rules are void as well. So we would live in a society where inbreeding and bestial sex was passé. My stomach curls at the mere thought, so surely homosexuality cannot be given special permission?

Members of the liberal front fire back with "If God does see it as being wrong, then why do some people have feelings towards members of the same sex?" Perhaps it is simply the fact that the world is not perfect, and things go wrong. The same as disabilities and disease, earthquakes and floods. It's just another thing wrong with the worlds; another temptation like greed or vanity.

It's important to remember that the God sees all sins as equal. So homosexuality can't be more wrong than sex before marriage or adultery. Therefore, to label the church as homophobic would be unjust.

As I see it, Christians follow a standard which God has set down: One man and woman joined in marriage, faithful to each other for the rest of their lives. If you wish to follow a Christian lifestyle then anything short of this standard is wrong.

So can a practising homosexual be a Christian? I would say no. It would mean that they were still sinning, and believing it to be right. As humans we do sin, but God has made it so that if we are sorry then heaven's gates are open. If you continue to be in a homosexual relationship then you are not sorry, and therefore there's something stopping you from being with God.

Therefore, if you follow my argument, you cannot have a gay priest. It would be hypocritical for that man or woman to go out into the streets and preach repentance, when they haven't fully repented themselves.

I am not saying you have to be perfect to be in ministry, but I am saying that you need to be trying as hard as possible to be good and not to sin. It's a struggle and everyone slips up, but that's why Jesus died on the cross in the first place. In order that our slip-ups can be forgotten.

This is my personal opinion, and hopefully it will help you back up your own argument, or form your own opinions.

Latest articles