Don't Label Me! - Comments

  • Thank you for writing this article! I used to wear black alot and just because of that, I got labeled as an emo! It's infuriating. I mean, can't I wear my favourite band shirt and NOT be labeled as an emo? Sheesh
    September 9th, 2009 at 06:45pm
  • To Paint the Roses Red...

    You should get to know people instead of just using labels to realize who your friends are. Labels are made out of first impressions, at least most of the time.

    The only time I hear labels being used is in a joking matter, or to describe how someone dresses. I never see it as clear cut as this article makes it seem, or television for that matter..
    September 5th, 2009 at 02:21am
  • I agree with redwingsrock. Everyone does it, not that it makes it right, but it's true.

    You label / judge a person the second you set eyes on them. You classify them. 'oh, they look like a scene queen.' 'she just looks preppy'. you know? whatever it might be.

    You do it subconiously, just like everyone else in the world.


    And you know what? I label people. I do. But I always give them a chance whether I think their going to be a good person or not. Plus, I label people to describe them.

    Like, 'oh she looked really emo.' or whatever.
    September 2nd, 2009 at 04:44pm
  • Why does it matter? Even the people who hate labels label everybody. I have friends who hate being label yet they say, [about the labelers who label them] I wish the damn preps would stop labeling me!
    So everyone just eeds to drop hte 'don't label me' gig
    Please, Do us all a favor and Stop whining and moaning about it, casue if you don't like labels, wear shit that won't get you labeled. pretty obvious there.
    September 1st, 2009 at 03:44pm
  • Labels, so everything is black-and-white and "nicely" categorized so that we can run through life without having to notice anything unique or even vaguely out of the mould.

    It might be interesting to wonder what life would have been like if human nature had us seek ambiguity and unusualness, and fear anything clear-cut and easily "understood" :)
    August 31st, 2009 at 11:11am
  • :P in my school they use those a lot.
    actually i am called a nerd, but at the time an emo.... well, thinking about it, it doesnt have any sence at all, because they have also called me slut and prep. xP
    i personally dont pay attention to them, i am who i am, and that's it.
    May 5th, 2009 at 10:30pm
  • Why can't people do some goddamn research? Emo means emotive hardcore. It's a music genre not a fashion. Seriously.
    January 24th, 2009 at 05:44am
  • it's ridiculous to label people. if you label other people, you're just as deserving to be "labeled" so who even cares. ridiculous. just be a non-stupid human being and i think we'll live through this whole "labeling" deal. but for those of you who want to be labeled or whatever; get a freaking life.
    October 30th, 2008 at 06:22am
  • I think that they help us realize who are friends are. If animals get classified into kingdoms, why can't we be classified in labels?
    October 18th, 2008 at 05:51am
  • haha i've been called a prep my whole life, along with slut, whore and CONFORMIST. Probably cuz I wear pink or something. Conformist hurts the most. I dont try to conform, but I guess I conform by trying not to conform?? I dont make fun of anyone, especially not people who harm themselves. My cousin did that, and whenever my friends start making fun of emos I just bitchslap them and WALK AWAY. Haha
    September 21st, 2008 at 10:03pm
  • I am well shocked that this got through.
    Most of it is incredibly inaccurate and the whole statement is basically labelling people in itself anyway.
    This is an overused subject, and if the article was better written, it could be passable... but it isn't.
    August 13th, 2008 at 08:52pm
  • thank you just_call_me_dookie. you have given me faith that more than about three people know what emo actually means.
    July 24th, 2008 at 08:18pm
  • I agree with pixie_emochick18's comment. Completely inaccurate, ESPECIALLY in the descriptions of a nerd. I don't know what teen show/movie you're stuck in when you think of nerds, but I can tell you first hand, that a person is labeled a nerd because they are academically strong, not because they dress like morons.
    And, personally, I'm considered a "nerd", and I can tell you that I don't wear pants up to my belly button, belted, with my shirt tucked in. Nor do I have a pocket protector or wear my pens in my shirtfront pocket, in case you were wondering. And I may have glasses, but I wear contacts on a regular basis, so the huge geeky glasses can be shot down right there.
    Nerds are normal kids. You'd be surprised how much the label of "nerd" can overlap with other labels. Anyone can be smart. Actually, even jocks have to typically be smart, at least smart ENOUGH, because at least in my school and I can only imagine many other schools across the country, you have to have good grades to stay on an athletic team, or you get kicked off or probated.
    And as for the other "nerds" I went to school with, they didn't dress retarded either, nor did they slick back their hair. The Saludatorian of my graduating class was actually, what you would call an "emo". The third ranked person was a "prep", and there were plenty of other categories of people, including jocks, in the top ten ranked people i graduated with.
    Nerds are normal people.
    July 22nd, 2008 at 03:29pm
  • Labels suck. But they're part of life. Just get used to it >__>"
    July 21st, 2008 at 12:42am
  • Most things you have said are not accurate in any way...=/

    And there has been too many articles done on this subject its something we hear about constantly.
    July 19th, 2008 at 10:19am
  • BLLUURRRGGGGGHHHH ...
    A well structured article.. and probably quite relevant...
    but for some reason i'm so bored of these articles lol
    Gabe
    July 19th, 2008 at 09:27am
  • Labels are quite literally a part of every day life. Like... seriously, either get used to it or gtfo.

    Actually, if it weren't for labels, we'd all be the same.
    And thats no fun, now is it?
    But since we have them, we can all be the same in our own little group!
    Ah HA! Now life's more interesting.

    Plus, I'm sick of hearing about these articles.
    WE GET IT. YOU HATE LABELS.

    Jesus, if you hate labels so much, go to Pluto.
    No one likes Pluto anyway. Except me.
    July 19th, 2008 at 08:15am
  • [i]Emo is the abbreviation of the word emotional[/i]

    I would also like to point out that THIS IS NOT TRUE. Emo stands for Emotive Hardcore. IT IS A GENRE OF MUSIC. Stop saying the wrong things, please; thank you; goodbye.
    July 19th, 2008 at 06:53am
  • I for one hate labels, but I can't lie, I do sometimes use them to describe people..I don't really mean to, but they've just been around for so long that they tend to stick.

    And I'm just saying Emo is NOT a label. People have been useing it as one and it is really pissing me off. It is a type of music people, get over yourselves.
    July 19th, 2008 at 05:53am
  • I honestly think labels are stupid. I am me...and I've been given oh so many labels that, when you think of what comes with them, are COMPLETELY inaccurate. Good article:)
    July 19th, 2008 at 05:44am