Americans: Trying to be Japanese? - Comments

  • I think I'm turning japanese...

    I don't think the real issue is that they're trying to act japanese, but that they're using stereotypes that derive from the animes they watch. The drawing styles for manga and anime exaggerate so much. It would be very unlikely to go to Japan and see people walking through the streets dressed like the people in the shows. So everything comes down to stereotypes.
    August 3rd, 2008 at 06:49pm
  • It's frustrating seeing people who know nothing about the culture obsess over the topic of Japan...but in all honesty; western fashion is also spread throughout Japan as well as our cultures; so it's really just simple diffusion. Also I think the Japanese introduce a lot of knowledge and creativity to people; anime story lines surpass most of the creativity that's originated in america, likewise with the widespread of Japanese-originating manga. I don't see how we're trying to be Japanese, I think it's more of an appreciation. And as much as it's seen in Anime Cons and such lolita isn't really passed on in everyday life. I wear Baby the stars shine bright and h.naoko AND I know bits and pieces of the Japanese language along with the fact that I severely appreciate the Shinto religion, but that doesn't mean I'm trying to be Japanese.
    It's a good article...but I don't really think your argument makes a lot of sense.
    August 3rd, 2008 at 06:22pm
  • Ah, what you're thinking of is the infamous "Wapanese" or "Weeaboo"... Yea, they make everyone who is interested in the Japanese cluture look bad... Just get on UrbanDictionary.com and type in Wapanese, you'll see what I mean....
    August 3rd, 2008 at 04:42pm
  • "As long as they don’t just go around doing it for popularity." "Fine by me, as long as they don’t just say they know everything and honestly know nothing about our culture."

    Unfortunately, so many people DO act like that that it makes the rest look bad. I've gotten so sick of people obsessed with manga (because they always shove the books in my face and show me things I wish I could erase from my mind) that every time the subject is mentioned I just want to scream, even though some of my best friends read it.

    Most anime, by comparison, isn't all that bad, but Cartoon Network's random obsession with any and all things Japanese was really annoying for a while. We have a lot of great things in our own country and we easily shove them aside in favor of something Japanese because it's foreign. Not that I don't like Japan, by the way. Then again, I like most countries. But I think ours has gone too far.

    That said, Ninja Warrior. *insane laughter* Ninjas own you all. And pirates. Ninjas own pirates.
    August 3rd, 2008 at 02:34pm
  • That "American's need to be original" comment is complete bull crap. Plenty of cultures have been influential in American culture, and American culture has influenced other cultures as well. (Especially when Japanese songs have random English words in it.) The anime craze has been going on for a long time now. Its just become increasingly popular over the years. When I was little it was basically just sailor moon and dbz. So I don't buy that argument that people just started liking anime and manga. Its no true.
    August 3rd, 2008 at 01:01pm
  • When I read this, I instantly thought "just think of Ninja Worrior". Probably because I've spent my whole summer watching it.
    August 3rd, 2008 at 09:37am
  • I like this article.

    Im not American, Im from NZ but I love Japanese culture, movies, music and fashion.


    Oh and "desu" is a polite way to end a sentence, and can be replaced with "desuka" to make it a question
    August 3rd, 2008 at 08:13am
  • [i]”American’s really need to stop trying to be us. Their all unoriginal idiots who really, really need to go listen to their own music and speak their own language. Instead of taking ours.”[/i]

    First of all, it's supposed to be, "[b]They're[/b] all unoriginal...etc."

    Second, who gives a shit? If someone wants to obsess over another culture and learn their language and dress in their fashion, then let them.
    August 3rd, 2008 at 06:32am
  • Pfft. Why the hell is she complaining about us "stealing" their culture when she's already "stolen" ours. Like it or leave it, kid. This is America.
    August 3rd, 2008 at 05:34am
  • It depends on what level your at, as you said. If you like the style, wear the style. If you want to learn the language, go right ahead. But don't claim to be something you're not. Don't say you can speak fluent Japanese when you can't. Don't say you love J-Rock when you know one song.
    August 3rd, 2008 at 03:38am
  • Well you know there are some of us who actually know more than the word 'desu' I am on my way to speaking japanese because I actually like to go to Japan after highschool and know how to communicate with the people there.
    Sure it started out with anime, but eventually it grew out more. That last quote though seemed a littke rude, listen to our own music? It seems like its saying we should stay clear from J-rock completly? hm.
    And honestly, not all of us like American bands. I don't like many cause all of them are pretty much shit, very few American bands I like.
    August 3rd, 2008 at 03:00am
  • Trust me, it's not only Americans ...
    August 3rd, 2008 at 02:56am
  • Um, there seems to be a misunderstanding here. I want to clear that up, this article isn't about ME saying that I think American's are trying to be Japanese. O.o...
    August 3rd, 2008 at 12:37am
  • I personally think it's just cultural interest.
    The Japanese culture is so much different than the American / English culture; to me, that alone is enchanting.
    But I know what you mean about the people who “think” they’re Japanese and believe they know everything about Japanese culture just because they watch Anime, read Manga, and frequently use Japanese honorifics.
    Sorry if this is too bold, but it’s kind of annoying. -__-
    August 3rd, 2008 at 12:32am
  • well i know a bit of japanese but I don't speak it with other people
    i can agree with article because it's true about it and some people actually try to change their culture to being japanese. In my words, they should stop trying to change culture and be themselves but still keep their interest in what they are trying to become. I know what I said can be a bit offencive but I know it's true.
    August 2nd, 2008 at 11:25pm
  • Lucy In The Sky- Whoops ^^; Thanks for telling me that.
    August 2nd, 2008 at 11:25pm
  • Does it really matter? I mean some people like all that stuff..basically all of my friends do.
    August 2nd, 2008 at 11:07pm
  • I just realized I didn't finish my thought in one line of my comment and therefore it made no sense. I was trying to say that it isn't an Americans' thing to 'try and be Japanese' in some way or another or to imitate the country in certain aspects.
    August 2nd, 2008 at 10:47pm
  • I have a Japanese mother, I speak fluent Japanese, and I just wanted to inform you that "desu" doesn't mean "I". At all. It means "am", "is" or "are".
    So when you write an article, please make sure you really know the things you write about for a fact, as to prevent the including of misinformation.

    Also, I think that there always are people who obsess over certain things and it definitely isn't an all-Americans' thing to try and be Japanese. People all over the world love and are influenced by the Japanese culture, dress up in Japanese fashion, eat Japanese food and whatnot. And to say that Americans are trying to be Japanese, for me, is a bit too generalized and too easy.
    August 2nd, 2008 at 10:39pm
  • hey, i am actually from england lol
    and i've been learning japanese for about a year and its because i've loved japanese culture and things since i was in year 2 (my mum got me hello kitty chopsticks) and then in year 3 a japanese girl came to my school called naho and she taught me how to say a few words (which i've remembered) and i love anime, japanese music and japanese food but i most definetly think its disrepectful just to do it to be popular and to know shit about it, you can't judge what you don't know right?
    and i aspire to continue learning japanese and visit tokyo so i can hopefully find my old best friend (naho)
    thank you for doing this article
    August 2nd, 2008 at 10:01pm