Jesus Freaks

Jesus Freaks America, which used to be a mostly Christian nation, has changed its views on religion since then. Now it is only a label, and even some of the people who call themselves Christian don't behave like it.

This is partly because Christianity is a very inconvenient religion. It's very difficult to be a devout Christian and be popular at school.

Devout Christianity is actually kind of misunderstood. Most people think of old bible-thumpers preaching hellfire and damnation, people who can't tolerate or love or accept those different from them. This is society's view of Christians: intolerant.

However, Christianity doesn't advocate intolerance. Jesus befriended most of society's outcasts such as prostitutes and tax collectors. Both were highly immoral people groups. But Jesus showed that through love, they can be brought to change their ways.

This is what Christianity teaches, not intolerance. Christians don't support homosexuality, but that doesn't mean that they hate homosexuals. They are told to show love to them.

Perhaps the reason most people choose to reject Christianity is because of its inconvenience. It's so much easier to be selfish and live for our own gain.

My words to Bible-thumpers: peace, love, empathy.
My words to the hypocrites: don't even call yourself something if you won't die for it.

"Love is a movement. Love is a revolution." -Jon Foreman

Latest articles