Stereotypes - Branding

Stereotypes - Branding Stereotyping is not a new problem and does not only exist in the fashion culture or sub-cultures, The stereotypes of ethnic groups and or cultures is what has led to riots, segregation and war. From the 18th century slave trade to discrimination against homosexuals in the 1980's HIV outbreak.

It’s hard to forget how much hate there is in the world. With people being branded and then insulted for what they wear, what they listen to and what they do. To me, branding people is the most pathetic thing ever. Branding yourself is just as bad.

There are many different brands to choose from. Such as:

Chav

- slang term in the UK for a subcultural stereotype fixated on fashions such as gold jewelery and ‘designer’ clothing. They are generally considered to have no respect for society, and be ignorant or unintelligent. The term appeared in mainstream dictionaries in 2005. The features of this stereotype include the Burberry pattern and from a variety of other casual and sportswear brands. Tracksuits, hoodies, sweatpants and baseball caps are particularly associated with this stereotype. The term has also been associated with delinquency, the “ASBO Generation”, “Hoodie culture” and “yob culture”. Chavs are often stereotyped as being particularly anti-emo and anti-Goth, two other subcultural groups.

Emo

- Stereotyped as being shy, sensitive, glum, quiet and broken-hearted. Emo personality is often connected with poetry which addresses anger, pain, confusion, depression and loneliness, all resulting from the world’s inability to understand the author. Most commonly know for self harm e.g. cutting, burning and self mutilation. A lot of stereotypes say that most enjoy to pretend to hurt themselves, for their own enjoyment and/or think it's cool. Also stereotyped for using depressing screen names with X’s amongst them. Fashion such as the Emo fringe, which covers one eye, the black hair, pale make-up with heavy eyeliner framing their eyes, the skin tight trousers and Emo rimmed glasses.

Goth

- A contemporary subculture found in many countries. It all began in the UK (once again), during the early 1980s in the gothic rock scene, an offshoot of the post-punk genre. The Goth brand has survived much longer than others of the same era, and is still common today. It’s influences are of Gothic literature and mainly through horror movies. Commonly know for wearing nothing but black, heavy make-up, Victorian style clothes and many piercing on the body and face. Known to listen to nothing but Metal music and love to be different.

Hippies

- Refers to a subgroup of the 1960s and early 1970s. Commonly known for their love of the world and its inhabitants. Fashion including the long hair that passes by their waists, flowers in their hair and sometimes going out natural. Often pictured to be associated with the tambourine.

Jock

- A classic American stereotype of an athlete. Derived from the word, jockstrap. Attributed mostly to high school and college athletics participants who form significant youth subculture. Stereotyped as being unintelligent and unenlightened, but still physically and socially well endowed character. Known to think nothing but their own physique and themselves, with their popularity at steak at every moment.

Ned

- Term often applied to certain young people in Scotland (similar to the terms chav, which is used in Wales, England, skanger in Ireland and spide in Northern Ireland). The stereotypical view of a Ned is an adolescent male youth, who wears fake Burberry, engages themselves in hooliganism, petty criminality, loutish behaviour, underage drinking and smoking, or just plainly irritating others.

Nerd

- Referring to somebody who passionately pursues intellectual or esoteric knowledge or pastimes rather than engaging in a social life, participating in any sports, clubs or other activities. Other stereotypes have them down as unstylish, unattractive, or socially inept, and only interested in studying, electronics and reading.

Prep

- Such individuals commonly attend or attended major private, secondary university-preparatory schools commonly associated with the north-eastern United States. These characteristics include particular subcultural speech, vocabulary, accent, dress, mannerisms, etiquette and entitled life view. Stereotyped as being preoccupied with the appearance and wealth.

Through research I have came to understand that it is the Emo and Goth brands that get stereotyped more than any of the others.

We should all put an end to stereotypes and branding. We lived without it before, so we can live without it now. At the end of the day, we are all different, not one of us are the same, we should be loved and seen for who we are, not what we look like or how we dress. We all see the world through different eyes and we all have our opinions. But, sometimes its best if we just keep them to ourselves.

As for the commotion with the music. It does not matter what people listen to. Everyone has different tastes, we’d all be pretty boring if we all liked the same things. So next time you see someone, and suddenly brand them as ‘Emo’ or ‘Chav’, just remember that we are all different, and that’s the way things should be. So what if someone hates you for what you look like, be yourself, there will always be someone who loves you for who you are. Just be yourself. That’s all I have to say.

Latest articles